Chapter 2

Once all of the dishes were rinsed off and placed onto the drying rack, the two then sat down on the couch and powered on their gaming console that looked very similar to the old 1980's Sega Genesis.

Where the games at the time, were 8 bit retro arcade style with most involved up to two-players for either adventure mode or head to head combat fighting matches.

In this case, the game Strong Johns, was a wrestling themed fighting video game that involves the gamers to battle with each other until one of the players are knocked out.

Mordecai at the time, had chosen the double chinned man while Rigby played as the identical twin version with the double bumps on his head.

After a few minutes of quiet gameplay had passed by, Mordecai was able to win the round by having his character wrestler use an arm around the neck technique to flip Rigby's wrestler down to the ground in a thud.

Thus, ending the match with the word KO'ED that can be read right across the screen of the TV.

"Ooooooh!!!" Mordecai yelled out in victory with his hands pumped in the air.

"Aww man! How come is it that I never get to win any of these games?" Rigby grumbled in utter defeat.

"That's because I'm not the one who sucks at video games." Mordecai bragged with a small smile on his face.

"Stop talking!!!" Rigby shouted while attempting to punch his friend in the arm, knowing good well that his hits are too weak to cause actual pain to him.

"Hahahaha!" Mordecai laughed loudly at his friend's funkiness while trying his best to hold in some of his bragging, with full awareness of how his friend would react to any of it.

"Alright! That's it! I want a rematch! Best two out of three?" Rigby asked with a fuming amount of frustration in his tone that is so adorable, it just ended up making him too cute to be taken seriously.

"Pfft. I'd doubt that you'll be able to beat me at this game. But okay, if you insist. It's on." Mordecai said, his voice very cool and confident enough to accept the challenge with a  simple shrug while they both restarted the match with the same characters and familiar background in the arena setting.

As the second gameplay became more and more intense with only the buttons on the controllers being mashed against their thumbs.

The silence once again, continued to fill the low air conditioned living room.

That is, until Mordecai randomly decides to add on about another subject in mind while they play their game with another win on Mordecai's end.

"By the way, just to let you know, I've already asked Benson to give us a day off after your birthday, tomorrow." Mordecai informed.

"Really, man? That's awesome! But... wait, why did you do that? Didn't you say that you had to go see your parents this coming up weekend for that family reunion that you guys have going on there?" Rigby asked, confused.

"Yeah, but they can wait. I still have Sunday to do all of that with them. Plus, I'd thought that we can use this time to hang out like we always used to do, whenever we're not focused on work or studying for a crummy test in grade school." Mordecai said with a grin so genuine, that it would make anyone, including Rigby, glow bright in embarrassing amounts of blush across his cheeks.

"R..right. W...well speaking of school, is there any way that you can help tutor me tonight? I have a test tomorrow for pre-calculus and I didn't study at all this week." Rigby asked, nervously.

Unlike Mordecai, Rigby is still behind and has yet to graduate high school due to the numerous fails in his classes over the years.

Luckily, Mordecai would always be around and is kind enough to help him get through it all while he's busy saving up for university fees with his work and the scholarships that he had been looking forward to after he was finished with his basics in community college.

"Sure, dude. But only if you don't fall alseep on me to the sound of math equations and formulas in the room." Mordecai said with a small chuckle as Rigby pretends to close his eyes and sleep for a short second with a loud fake snore until he suddenly 'wakes up' while rubbing his head, out of boredom as if he was watching a uninteresting history documentary.

"Huh? What was that? I think you just lost me there at the words 'study' and 'math'." Rigby complained as Mordecai started to laugh again at his silliness and elbowed him lightly in the arm.

"Haha. Knock it off, Rigby. You have to be serious, if you want to graduate this time." Mordecai reminded him.

"I am serious. Look at me, This is me being serious." Rigby exaggerated in a such an manner, that Mordecai caused Mordecai to chuckle at him a bit more.

"Pfft. With that face, I think the word 'coffee' is needed for your situation. Stay here, I'll make us a fresh batch before we can start going over module 4." Mordecai said while playfully ruffling up his hair with one hand before walking on over to the kitchen and started brewing a pot of coffee for them.

Rigby, at this point, was in a daze with his warm smile growing bright and wide at the edge of his dimples.

And his cheeks, burning up in hot flames.

His mind, slowly distracted by his own thoughts on how close he really felt to him.

After all of these years, Mordecai still cared and was willingly able to put up with his crazy shenanigans from time to time, just so that he can help him succeed.

He then thought about Mordecai's future art career and started to worry a bit.

He wanted everything, including their friendship, to last so long.

Until he knew for sure, that one day he wouldn't be able to hold onto him any longer.

Which meant that he would have to get a new life for once and start making more friends, again.

But for a guy like him, it's not that simple.

When all that he's got in the world is his one best friend to keep him going, everyday.

He just wished that he could take back some of the mistakes that he's already done now since high school and confess to Mordecai about everything as soon as possible.

Because the more lies and coverups he does, the harder that it's going to be to let go.

Then all of a sudden, within his mindless zoning, he suddenly jumps back into reality and realized how early the time was at the moment in a jump.

"Wait! Do we have to study now?! But it's only 7:00pm. Can't we just play another round of Strong Johns, instead for a few more hours?" Rigby asked in a groan.

"I don't think you'll be able to handle a full Unit of math within only a small spare of time. Plus, I've already beaten you at this game twice so there's really no use in trying to break my winning streak, now." Mordecai teased with jokingly charm-like voice in his tone.

"Heh, alright then. I'm just gonna have to trust you on your word then." Rigby said with a nervous smile on his face and sighed quietly while waiting for the remainder of time on the couch.

Once the coffee was ready to go and poured into a couple of cups, the two then turned off their game console and took their stuff with them, so that they can prepare for their study session in their shared room, upstairs.