ONE. the starcourt power outage

THE STARCOURT POWER OUTAGE
season three — episode one

— THE STARCOURT POWER OUTAGEseason three — episode one

CHAPTER ONE

      "YOUR TOTAL IS $7.36." Oliver smiled sweetly at the lady that stood in front of him, sliding over her stack of books that she was purchasing. She nodded and handed him a ten-dollar bill, standing there while he grabbed her change, setting it on top of the stack of books, along with her receipt. "Have a good night." The lady didn't say anything after that and grabbed her books and left, not sparing him a single glance. Oliver furrowed his eyebrows but shook his head, not really caring about it.

      Oliver sighed and peered out into the crowded area of Starcourt mall. That's right. Hawkins opened up a new mall and it was the talk of the town. New job opportunities, new stores, and a shit ton of things to do. Oliver was lucky enough to get a job there, especially as manager of a book store. It happened fast but he didn't care, he was getting paid good money.

He really enjoyed his job. It was something he had dreamed of doing since he was really young. However, he was only here until he found a college he wanted to go to. He had gotten quite a few scholarships and he was currently trying to figure out which one he would prefer. On top of that, His life had started to get a lot better since the end of last year. His mother never contacted him anymore — aside from his birthday — and his father had gotten a better job, as did he. He had also gotten a lot closer with everyone he had gone through everything with last year. Specifically Max, Steve, Nancy, and Dustin.

He was actually shocked when he and Nancy started to get closer. He had always assumed that she really disliked him but that was proven to be wrong when she came to him for help with a newspaper thing. He couldn't quite remember it, but it had to do with something that had happened in Hawkins.

      Shaking his head once more, he turned to look at one of the other employees, giving her a soft smile. "I'm heading out now! Make sure to close at 10." She nodded as he slipped a lanyard — that held an ID card, a name tag, and a small carebear keychain — over his head, backing out into the crowded halls of the mall. He waved and turned on his heel, making his way over to a small place. Scoops Ahoy. Thankfully, it was across from his store so he didn't have to walk very far.

      It's where Steve and his new friend Robin worked. To be honest, he thought Robin was absolutely amazing. She made fun of Steve almost as much as he did, and she was funny. "Hey there, Robin," Oliver said with a smile, pushing open two small doors and walking behind the counter. "Oliver!" Robin said, halfway through scooping up some ice cream.

      "He's in the back, go ahead and go." She smiled at him and he nodded, pushing open the large swinging door that led to the back. "Hey, Steven." Steve scoffed at the nickname and turned, pausing whatever he was doing. "Please stop calling me that. That's not even my name." Oliver shrugged and sat down at the small table that was in the middle of the room, slouching.