chapter 1

It was 10:30am on a Tuesday morning, the sun shining through my window. I stretch my arms and check my phone to see a text message from JJ "Pick you up at the dock at 11" it reads. I hop out of bed and head straight to my bathroom to brush my hair and teeth. I pick out a light blue ribbed bikini and a pale purple T shirt over top with some jean shorts. I have enough time to grab some water and put on sunscreen before a run across the street to Sarah's. I walk inside the house without knocking as per usual, I pass the dirty blonde haired Cameron boy with a smile. "Hey Em what's up." He says as he walks toward me "Boat day." I smile at him, "Of course." he mutters and sighs. Rafe hated that I hung out with the pogues, I don't know what it was that made him care.

"My dad wants you back here before 1:30 we are going to the country club and you need to get ready." Rafe informs me, "K whatever." I say as I wave goodbye to Rafe and Sarah. I head for their dock where I see my friends approaching. "Hey Em!" John b smiles at us as he holds his hand out for me to get on the boat, "Hey guys, what's up?" I say taking a seat beside JJ as he beams at me. Sarah didn't ever seem bothered that I was friends with the pogues, even though she would never be friends with them herself. I used their dock all the time to see my friends so she knew who they were but never talked to them.

Before I even realize it's 1:25 and I need to get home ASAP before I get scolded by Ward. Luckily I make it back just in time and Sarah and I get changed to go to some sort of get together at the Country Club. I wear a white ruffled skirt with a small pink shirt and my hair down and straightened. I wore some cute bracelets that I made last week and decided to show off. It turns out that my dad was back home today and we all were getting together and going for dinner. Ward also told me that there was someone new for us to meet, which made me anxious. "Wheezie you'll drive with us, you too Sarah. Rafe can you drive Emery please?" Rose spoke "Yeah sure." Rafe replied and he looked down at me, then jerking his head towards the door. I followed behind him to the car and he opened the passengers door for me as I hopped in.

Both of our windows were rolled down and there was music playing softly in the background as we drove. I pulled out my phone and answered JJ, I must have been smiling because Rafe looked over at me a few times before asking "Who are you texting?" "JJ" I say back. Rafe sighs and looks in his rear view mirror "I seriously don't know why you hang out with them." Rafe speaks, I roll my eyes at him "I'm being serious Em, you aren't some dirty pogue like the rest of them." "Why do you care so much who I'm friends with?" I ask him with a scowl on my face. "Because I think they're a bad influence on you." He snaps back at me. I feel my cheeks flush a little as a sink lower in my seat, he notices "I'm just trying to look out for you okay?" He says again, but this time I keep my eyes a head of me not acknowledging the boy.

We pull into the parking lot and I hardly wait for the car to stop before jumping out and slamming the door. "Come on Emery, seriously?" Rafe says to me getting out of the car and slamming his door after me, the rest of the Cameron's arrived at the same time as us so I start walking closer to them as they are heading for the entrance. "You can't seriously be mad at me right now. Emery come on!" Rafe starts to get upset but I just turn around and mutter a quick "I'm not mad." And continue walking alongside Sarah. Ward was watching the whole situation and he tugs on Rafes arm behind us "What did you do?" He says quietly to Rafe, "Nothing don't worry about it." Rafe says to his dad, but Ward doesn't seem convinced. "Be nice to her, please." He says before we all enter.

As we walk in my eyes meet with my father, he's standing there with a big smile on his face. He's been away for work for around 2 weeks now, but I notice he's standing beside a lady I don't recognize. Oh boy.
Just what we needed! Another one of my dad's girlfriends that I'll rarely see and that'll take away all my dads attention from me. I sigh but there's no getting out of this, I walk up to him as he hugs me quickly and says hello, I wish my dad was more of a father to me. I wish we had a stronger bond like my friends and their dads. He introduces me to Angela, she's very beautiful and had caramel coloured hair and green eyes. "Hi Emery, your dad has told me all about you!" She says giving me a tight squeeze. I'm sure he has I think to myself.

We all sit down for dinner, At the head of the table is my dad, and at the opposite end is Ward. I'm sitting in between Sarah and Rafe, and across from Wheezie, Rose and Angela. I act like nothing is wrong during dinner, I pretend like I'm not pissed at my dad for bringing some random chick to dinner without any warning and that I'm not upset that Rafe is being super overprotective again and telling me who to and who to not be friends with. I don't say much during dinner, I only chat briefly with Sarah. My leg bounces under the table as I'm nervous, and overall just overwhelmed. Rafe looks at me and studies my face, he picks up that I just want to go home especially now that everyone is done eating and we are just chatting now.

He reaches under the table and puts his hand on my knee, I get butterflies from the small gesture and try not to blush. "You ok?" He whispers, I look at him and nod slightly, forgetting about being mad at him and holding a grudge. "Hey um, It was really nice getting to meet you Angela, and great to see you again Richard. But I think me and Emery are gonna head out now, we need to stretch our legs and get some fresh air." Rafe speaks to the table, a sense of relief washes over me as he stands up and takes my hand in his. I thank everyone myself and we walk out together.

"Thank you Rafe." I say as we exit the doors and walk through the parking lot "No problem, I'm sorry about earlier- I know I can get carried away sometimes but I really just want to protect you." He replies. "It's ok." The drive home is very quiet, when he parks the car in the driveway I thank him again and walk across the street into my own house to get unready. I get changed and wash my face, I text my dad asking if he's coming back home tonight but he doesn't answer, I take that as a no. Just like most nights a fall asleep in a quiet, lonely house. With my window open letting the summer air flow through my room and the breeze blowing my curtain ever so slightly, in my white bed sheets thinking about what I'll do tomorrow, I drift off to sleep.

Hope you enjoyed chapter 1! Let me know if you have any feedback, or requests! Have a great day/night/evening x