chapter 2

Sarah and I are sitting outside by the pool soaking up some sun, "Hey girls" I here Topper Thornton say. I turn my head and pull down my sunglasses to see Rafe, Kelce and Topper walking in there swimsuits towards the pool. I try not to let my jaw drop as I take a look at Rafe's abs, I still after all this time get blown away at how in shape he is. "Hey, what are you guys doing?" Sarah asks "Going swimming?" Rafe sasses Sarah as if isn't obvious "But me and Em are gonna go swimming." She complains "We can all go swimming together" Topper smirks. I roll my eyes and go back to tanning.

A few minutes pass as it starts to feel a little too quiet, I can no longer hear the sound of Rafe's voice, and all of a sudden I feel shade over my face. Only for a second I see a tall figure standing over me before he picks me up bridal style. "RAFE!" I scream giggling at first as he walks with me towards the pool, "Rafe put me down! Don't you dare throw me in!" I squeal as I look at Sarah behind us laughing her ass off. "Throw her in we'll catch her!" Topper says as I get tossed into the pool and into Topper and Kelces' arms. Kelce hands me over into Toppers arms and he dips my head under the water making me gasp for air as I come back up. "TOPPER!" I squeal, Sarah and Rafe join us in the water as Topper continues to torment me, "STOP IT!" I giggle. He finally stops when Rose comes outside and brings us some drinks.

"Hey Sarah and Emery, I booked you two an appointment to go get fitted for midsummer's dresses tomorrow." Rose smiles at us "Thank you!" We both say simultaneously. "Speaking of midsummer's, are you going with Emery?" Topper says, We all knew that him and Sarah were going together but I hadn't even thought about finding a date. "No one I guess" I shrug taking a sip of my drink "You should go with Rafe, Emery!" Kelce tells me, Rafe and I look at each other. "I don't even know if I'm going to midsummers" Rafe speaks. My heart sinks. He probably just doesn't want to go with me and he's trying to find an excuse. I wouldn't mind going with Rafe at all but maybe he doesn't feel the same...

"You should stay for dinner Em" Ward says, "Okay, thank you" I smile at him "Of course." Ward always made sure I was fed or being taken care of. During dinner like most nights, Ward sat at the head of the table, Sarah and I sat beside each other, Rafe and Wheezie sat opposite of us and Rose opposite Ward. "This year your father is getting a very special award at midsummer's" Rose brings up, he smiles at her before speaking "Yes, so when we arrive this year we will all walk in one at a time as a family. You may each choose someone to walk out with." "Even me?" Wheezie asks her father "Yes Wheezie." He tells her. "And Rafe, you don't have to but we thought that you should walk out with Emery." Ward looks back and forth between the two of us. I look up from my plate to see him already staring at me, I feel my cheeks heat up as I stare down at my food. "Emery?" I hear Rafe say. I slowly look up from my plate again to meet my eyes with his "Will you go to midsummer's with me?" He asks in front of the whole table. "Um sure, I-I mean I'd love to go with you. Thank you." I say awkwardly, earning a smile from everyone at the table. I see Wheezie nudge Rafe in his arm but he just shoots her a look.

After dinner Sarah and I go to wash up, I decide to stay the night just because I don't feel like spending another night alone in that big house. As we're lying in Sarah's bed in the dark, almost asleep I bring up something that's been on my mind.

"Hey Sare?" I say almost a whisper, she hums in response "Do you think Rafe actually wanted to go to midsummers with me?" "What do you mean?" She asks "Do you think he only asked me because he felt like he had to?" I reply. Sarah sighs before responding "In all honesty Em, I think Rafe likes you. Like- really likes you." She says as she rolls over on her side to face me. "Every time your not here he never shuts up about you, and I can tell by the way he looks at you." She says, my heart does a front flip. "Really?" I ask is disbelief "Yeah. If Rafe had to have a girlfriend I would want it to be you." She says before rolling back away from me.

"Goodnight Sarah." I say

"Goodnight Em"

chapter 2.