Chapter 1

"Just one night of freedom," Aiko exclaimed as she snuck out of her study group. 

She had been kept under a strict routine for as long as she could remember, her only respite being those years before her mother died when her father was no longer around. But now, living with her dad again, she was constantly told where to go, when to go there and who to go with and Aiko could no longer take it.

* * *

The lights changed from green to red, and the busy city street slowed to a stop. Aiko pulled her bag over her shoulder, took one last look around and crossed the intersection. She wasn't sure where she was or where she was heading, but being babysat by her father's choice of a 'good boy' had sickened her beyond breaking point. She'd played the role of the quiet and mannerable daughter for too long and with no respite. For one night she wanted to be free, like in the days when she was still with her mother.

Why did he insist on bringing me here? she screamed internally, kicking her anger out at a not-so-real pebble and turning down a small side street.

The streetlights began flickering above her as the dusk set in. Her father would be expecting her home within the next hour but, even if she did know which way home was, she had no intention of making the trip right then.

Aiko made her way to the end of the small square that the street had turned onto and pulled her purse from her pocket. She hadn't eaten since lunchtime, something she often did and wouldn't normally have thought anything about if it wasn't for the sweet, nutty aroma that wafted from the doors of a nearby soba shop.

Just one bowl, she thought, tipping the coins from her purse into her hand and then paused at the sound of a chime indicating the door opening, and waited. Two boys walked out of the shop and passed her, laughing, while another two boys argued at the doorway.

"You shouldn't have ordered so much," said the first, his blond hair shimmering on his shoulders as he shrugged nonchalantly.

"I wouldn't have if I'd known you'd eat most of it," the second boy, with long black hair, replied.

"Well, you said let's go out and eat."

"I said that I was hungry," the second boy shouted before grabbing the first into a headlock and pulling him out from the doorway.

The blond ducked out of the black-haired boy's grip turning in with a right-handed punch to his stomach.

Aiko looked up at the boy who'd been hit. He was clearly annoyed, possibly angry, but he wore the brightest smile she had ever seen as he lunged forward to throw a right hook at the blond boy, his own hair dancing around his face as if experiencing the joy with him.

Despite his effort, and absolute zeal, his hit missed as the blond jumped out of the way, eventually backing into Aiko and setting the coins that she held in her hand flying in all directions.

Aiko too lost her balance and stumbled backwards, landing flat on her bum on the ground.

"Oi," a fifth boy shouted to his friends and then, taking one of Aiko's hands into his, helped her back to her feet. "I apologise for my friends' behaviour."

Aiko's gaze skimmed the dragon-shaped tattoo on the shaved side of the boy's head and quickly looked down at her ground hoping to locate her coins. He too had blond hair which was tied back in a braid, but his physique overshadowed the other blond, who was of much smaller stature.

"No problem," she said. "It's fine."

"Allow me," the first blond said and then crouched and began to pick up the coins.