Chapter 4

Three weeks had gone by since Aiko's conversation with Baji in the library. And, despite making a firm resolution to spend more time with him and Chifuyu, they still hadn't got any further than a short 5-minute exchange as she made her way to the library.

Daichi and the others had bought her excuse that she had met them at a cram school she'd attended when she first arrived, although neither he nor Ichika could understand why she took the time to talk with them as they were not from any of the schools in their district. Aiko had simply rolled her eyes at their snobbery and continued as she wished, even introducing Yui on one occasion. Yui had a slightly less arrogant viewpoint of the people from different areas and seemed genuinely pleased to meet them.

The last week of April had become extra stressful, with midterms getting ever closer, and now their usual two hours of study at the library had been increased to four hours. Aiko would have spent what little remained of the night screaming into her pillow if she hadn't already seen the four-hour study break as an opportunity not to be missed.

Four hours of study at the library gave her ample amount of time to, somehow, spend some real time with Baji and Chifuyu. They just need to show up, Aiko willed as she made her way to the library, knowing full well that even if they didn't show up she was somehow going to find them.

Thankfully, they were there as usual, in the same spot on the corner of the road.

Aiko groaned loudly and coiled over, holding her hands against her belly.

"What's the matter?" Daichi asked, hovering his hand over her back for a moment before pulling it back.

Aiko shook her head and pressed her hand over her mouth.

"She was complaining about a tummy ache not long ago," Yui said, moving in to rub her back in place of Daichi. "Maybe she needs to lie down or something."

"I need to go home," Aiko said, bringing herself to a shaken stance before wobbling off. "I'll go back to the school and ask them to call my dad."

"Yeah, sure," Daichi said, jogging up to stand beside her. "Do you need any help?" he asked, offering his arm to her.

Right on cue the sound of wheels coming to a sudden stop in front of them drew all of their attention away from Aiko.

"I'll give her a hand if she needs one," Baji said. His statement sounded more like a command than a suggestion.

Rather than wait for her to accept his offer, Daichi grabbed hold of Aiko's arm instead. "She probably shouldn't ride on a bike if she feels sick."

"Oh no," Aiko countered, pulling her arm away out of his grip. "I'll be fine. The quicker I get there the better."

Daichi's eyes narrowed as he glanced back and forth between Aiko and Baji. "Right," he said with no further protest. "I guess I'll call you later."

Aiko slid onto the bicycle seat and gripped Baji's waist before he began pedalling towards the school.

In less than 5 minutes Baji stopped his bike outside the school gates. He looked over his shoulder to Aiko, whose recovery seemed to have come as quickly as her illness had. "I have a feeling you didn't plan to go into the school. Is that right?"

"Right."

"So where were you planning to go?"

"Where are you going?"

Baji smiled, faced forward and began pedalling again, this time faster. Which Aiko didn't mind; it just meant she had to hold on tighter.

Aiko watched the passing scenery, more concerned with the fact that she had never gotten the chance to see anywhere than with the fact that she had no idea where they were going until they eventually pulled up in front of an apartment block.