Chapter 13

Aiko stayed the night with Emma under Daichi's excuse that there had been a tournament at the Dojo and Aiko was asked to participate in it at the last minute. She had done well and gotten through to the finals so some of the girls had planned the sleepover party.

Daichi warned her that her father wasn't very happy with her mindlessness in mixing up the details between the dinner with friends and a martial arts tournament, but as he was still away he would have to deal with any punishment when he returned. Daichi assured her he had done his best to soften the whole situation, but it was a little beyond even him.

A nice amount of the swelling had gone down by midday, and, using the tournament as an excuse, they would probably be able to get away with the rest without making anybody too suspicious.

Emma had stressed a lot that morning and even cried a little. She knew there was nothing she could do to make Baji change his mind, but she swore she would make all the effort she could once he had calmed down.

"Do you think Baji's here?" Aiko asked Emma after taking one more look at herself, fully adorned in Emma's clothes, in the full-length mirror. Daichi had arrived with a driver to collect her and she'd already kept him waiting long enough.

"He might be, but he'll probably want to keep his distance," she replied. "I think you should let him."

"You know I can't do that."

"Baji can be really stubborn. If you push him when he's not ready, you might make the situation worse."

Aiko didn't argue. Emma knew Baji as well as she might know a big brother, and from what Aiko had seen she was probably right. But, despite Emma's warning, Aiko went straight to her room and called Baji as soon as she got home.

She wasn't surprised when he didn't answer, nor when he left it to ring through to voicemail later that night. She tried calling two or three times each day until the next weekend when she went to the dojo on her usual visit.

Baji was nowhere to be seen.

"How is he?" Aiko asked Emma after her session had finished.

"You know Baji," she said with a soft smile. "He's angry."

Emma said she'd tried everything to get him to speak with Aiko. Screaming, shouting and just plain begging, and each attempt had been met with increasing aggression. Mikey seconded Emma's explanation saying he'd tried the same, but Baji could be a hard-headed fool when he wanted to be.

"We could always hold him down and beat some sense into him if you want," Draken added.

He'd been quietly playing poker with Daichi, who had become his weekend rival after he'd taught him how to play and found he had quite a good knack for the game.

It almost seemed that Baji wouldn't arrive when the extra two hours they'd tricked their driver into giving them, in hope that Baji would show, was almost over; when in he walked with Chifuyu.

Baji stopped in his place on seeing Aiko sitting on the sofa with Emma and Mikey. He nodded a greeting, presumably to Mikey and turned to talk to some other boys who were sitting on the gym mats.

Aiko stood before allowing the thought that he had just completely ignored her to settle in her mind.

Emma gripped Aiko's arm and whispered, "He's not ready."

But Aiko shrugged, struggling to give any response except a faltered 'I can't' to which Emma nodded. Despite what the possible consequences were, she would probably have done the same thing.

"Hey," Aiko said, stopping in front of Baji and Chifuyu.

Chifuyu smiled, although it looked sadder than anything else and gave a light response, Baji acted as if she hadn't even spoken.