Epilogue

The weeks went by slowly with Aiko passing through each lesson half in a daze. Night times were spent wrapped in Baji's shirt as she lay in bed thinking of him. She wasn't able to call him until Sundays, in case someone overheard and confiscated her phone, although that didn't stop her from dialing his number and whispering a quick goodnight, to which he would reply with an added kiss.

She also messaged him various tidbits throughout the day, whenever she could get a chance to sneak to her room. Baji wasn't a big texter though so she'd only sometimes get a response. He confessed one evening, or rather Chifuyu did, that it was in fact Chifuyu who wrote his messages for him.

Two weeks had passed since her birthday party and Halloween was quickly coming up. With just over a week left, the excitement of seeing Baji again was almost unbearable; especially as time seemed to slow even more with the day coming closer. 

- Hey Bajfuyu, (As she would call him once she learnt that Chifuyu would also be reading the messages)

- I'll be calling around 9 tomorrow. You'll be around, right?

There was no reply. Neither did he answer her goodnight call that night. 

In fact, he hadn't replied to any texts or answered her night time calls since Thursday.

She wrapped herself up in her Toman shirt and got into bed doing her best not to overthink or stress out. Every time I've done that I've been wrong, she told herself before repeating it over and over until she fell asleep.

* * *

Aiko had been waiting at the bottom of the garden since six, pulling the phone out every five minutes to check the time. Baji would be in his intern role so she didn't want to call too early and disturb him, nor did she want her father to discover that she was somehow contacting him. He'd probably have her room raided and put all ideas of giving her and Baji a chance on permanent hold.

Nine o'clock eventually rolled up after what felt like forever, but the first ring rang through to voicemail, as did the second and third.

- What's happening, Baji? Are you still busy?

But, as with the nights before, there was no response.

Aiko went to bed that night in between tears and understanding. He wouldn't leave me hanging unless it was something out of his control, she repeated over and over throughout the night. Tiredness came and left with sleep no relief as an odd feeling of unease weighed down on her  and wouldn't leave.

Each day after that she texted, and each day there was no response. By the end of the third week she was kicking herself, wondering why she hadn't bothered to take down Emma or Chifuyu's number.

Eventually their promised Halloween came and, just as she had dreaded, was doomed as she spent the evening at the bottom of the garden again without any word from him. 

It was Wednesday after Halloween when she finally heard the message beep, with short a simple message.

- Are you free on Sunday? Call please.

Aiko messaged immediately and sent various follow ups until Sunday evening, each follow up left without a reply. So with a trembling heart she made her way to the bottom of the garden and dialed Baji's number.

It answered after three rings as usual.

"Aiko, It's Chifuyu. I need to talk to you ..."

__________

This is really the end now. I hope you enjoyed. Please vote, save and share 😊