Chapter 8

Aiko didn't approach Daichi about taking her to the dojo with him in fear that he might suspect Baji's invitation to be simply for that reason. Of course, having Daichi as an ally would help their plight if things like that became regular, but she was certain Baji wasn't as shallow as to feign a friendship for an ulterior benefit.

When Wednesday evening came and Aiko still had not received an invitation she reminded Baji, as it was his suggestion. This highly amused Baji who assured her that he had in fact asked Daichi if he could bring her, but had also told him that it was his decision and there would be no hard feelings either way.

"Daichi does like you at the end of the day," Baji said. "You can't tamper his ego like that and expect him to just hand you over to another guy."

"Hand me over?" Aiko asked. "I'm not a piece of equipment, you know? And I was never his to hand over anyway."

Baji's light chuckles became outright laughter at that. "If he doesn't invite you this time, I'll make sure you get to come next time."

"You don't seem too bothered about not seeing me," Aiko said, sounding sulkier than she'd meant to. "I mean, not that you should be bothered. Why would you be?" She continued, ending with a fake laugh.

"I am kind of bothered, but I'm also bothered by these short, haphazard visits. They're getting a little annoying, and I don't like being annoyed. If Daichi can help us set up more regular meetings, then that'll be cool. But, I'm not gonna force him when it's clear how he feels about you."

Aiko let out a loud groan and held in the urge to scream. Baji was right. She'd known him for over three months and the majority of their meetings had been a five-minute hello on the corner near the library. They needed to work something out if they were going to have a real friendship.

"If the worst comes to the worst, we can always be penpals, I guess," Baji said.

Aiko's mouth dropped open as she considered if he was speaking truthfully, but then the sudden outburst of his laughter hinted that he was probably joking.

"That wasn't funny," Aiko said bluntly.

"No, but I bet the expression that you made was."

Yeah, it probably was, she thought and laughed too.

"You know, you sound cute when you laugh compared to when you groan," he said.

Cute, she repeated internally, holding in a giggle. Was that a compliment?

"I thought you said only babies and cats are cute," she said.

"Yeah, well I guess girls can be cute sometimes too," he said, taking a short pause before continuing. "Well, you can be cute sometimes."

"Really?"

"Sometimes. Other times you're annoying. To be honest you might get even more annoying if we start to hang out more."

Aiko giggled at his attempt to backtrack for having called her cute before adding, "Well, I'm prepared to take the risk."

"Yeah. I thought you would," he laughed.

* * *

Thursday came and Daichi still hadn't mentioned the dojo.

He really did plan on going without me, Aiko thought, but by then she had already come up with her own plan to force an invite out of him. They had a double science class that day and, as usual, Daichi paired himself with Aiko for their practical exercise.