Chapter 7

Aiko ran the paper towels under the tap and pressed the towels into small, wet, square pads to bring back with her and treat Daichi's face. Daichi was resting at a table in the corner of the top hall. They had both decided it would be better to keep as much as they could from Ichika and Yui, hence the reason for finding an isolated place to sit.

"Sorry if this hurts," Aiko said as she gently wiped Daichi's face down with the wet cloth. A part of her felt that he deserved at least some of what he had gotten and she couldn't get the anxiety of wanting to talk to Baji again out of her head, but right then she had to deal with Daichi and hope she could appease him enough to not say anything to her father. This was definitely not the way for him to find out about Baji.

"Are you doing this so I keep my mouth shut?" he asked as if reading her intentions.

"Partly," she answered honestly. "But I feel a bit responsible too I guess."

"You weren't the maniac who attacked me."

"Baji's not a maniac."

"Look what he did to you," he said, gesturing to her face.

Aiko dropped her head out of embarrassment. The bleeding had stopped, but there was still some swelling. If you didn't know what had happened you could get away with believing she had simply banged her nose in sports practice, which was the excuse she planned on giving her father, but as Daichi knew what had really happened, there was no hiding it from him.

"You know he didn't mean to hit me," she finally rebutted.

"Yeah? Well, you'd never have to worry about me lashing out and accidentally hitting you."

"Yeah? Well, Baji would never try to force me into a relationship with him if I didn't want to be in one. Especially if he knew I was in love with someone else."

Daichi's eyes narrowed under his furrowed eyebrows as he stared at Aiko and mouthed a single, 'what?'.

Aiko's eyes dropped again to the floor. Did I really just say that? she questioned herself. Am I in love with Baji? But the answer was clear before she'd even finished her question. Baji was the one person that she knew who not only made her smile whenever she felt down but really made her feel happy. Even just the thought of speaking to him filled her with enough excitement to manage throughout the times that, before, would have made her feel as though she was drowning in despair.

"I do love him, Daichi," Aiko continued. "I'm really sorry that I couldn't feel that way about you, but that's just how these things work sometimes. I would have been honoured to be your friend if you'd had settled for that."

Daichi's eyes filled with moisture as he looked back at Aiko silently for some time before speaking. "You don't have to do this, you know?" he said, pulling away from her as she wiped his face again. "It would probably be quicker if I just went and washed up," and after instructing Aiko to go back down to sit with the other girls, he got up and left.

He didn't speak much more during the study session except to tell Yui and Ichika that a group of middle-schoolers started fighting outside and he had to break it up. That was his attempt at an excuse when they questioned him about the bruising, and surprisingly, they believed him. But then, Daichi was such a straight-laced character that he was mostly above suspicion when it came to dishonesty.

Aiko played the sport's practice excuse when she got home and no one was any the wiser about the whole Baji situation. So, after eating and acting out her usual evening routine, Aiko grabbed the handset and made haste for her bedroom.

She had no idea what she would say to Baji. She wasn't sure why he had taken off the way he had, but a lingering feeling told her she may have had some part in it.