Chapter 2

"You-" Aadarsh took a step forth and she backed. His eyes abruptly changed from laughing to rage, it took less than a second.

Yash stopped Aadarsh by grabbing his arm and shaking his head. He walked to her.

Rupali struggled to make eye contact. She tilted her head and Kalpana in one smooth move pulled Rupali in her arms. Without glancing at them Yash took out his knife from the belt and threw it in the air. In one stroke two mangoes fell from the tree.

He handed them to Rupali and said with clenched teeth "happy, miss."

Kalpana quickly stood between them and said "She shouldn't have insulted you both like that, sir."

"I got carried away. I didn't hold my tongue. I am grateful for your services sir. I am truly sorry." Rupali said.

She moved her hand forward to give back both mangoes "Please accept my apologies."

"Give them to someone who needs them." Yash didn't accept them and walked away from there.

Aadarsh looked at both the girls once and then followed Yash as he was about to exit the mango yard. Kalpana ran to Aadarsh "We are extremely sorry Sir, she meant no harm."

"I understand, miss. I am sorry I might have said too much." Flashing a brief smile he followed Yash.

Kalpana slapped Rupali on the forehead "What nonsense, you said."

"He humiliated me and I got angry. I didn't think he would take this so seriously. I meant no harm."

"Hold your tongue. At least with strangers."

"I feel awful."

"I accept nothing less."

Rupali wrapped her arm around Kalpana's and watched both the men left the courtyard.

"How did he know that we weren't peasant girls?" Rupali asked.

Kalpana thought for a while and examine her clothes. They were proper for peasant girls. Plain kurta's with brown duppata wrapped across the shoulder which also covered the head.

She looked around and right around the corner the guards who patrolled Swan garden came into vision.

"Let's get out of here before we get caught." Kalpana took her hand and sat down on their knees behind a tree.

"Dev said he will meet us here."

"We can't wait for him. What if those men send troops here. They already doubt our identity."

"You think they will report us."

"Why not?"

"We haven't done anything good anyway."

"You two." Both the girls stopped talking as their eyes widen. Behind them, they heard a man's footstep.

"Hands up and turn around" The voice was thick and hard to understand.

Kalpana gave her a signal to run and they were about to when the men said

"Don't you dare think of running? I will shoot arrows at you both."

Rupali caught a change in the voice and immediately turned to look at the person. Kalpana cursed, they shouldn't be revealing their face to everyone here. She too stood up to face him with hands in the air.

By the time she registered the man in brown kurta, turban and a face shield; Rupali already walked up to him "DEV!"

Dev stood there laughing as he saw both their white face scared to death.

.

.

.

.

Let's hope she gets a chance to meet him once again in a more friendly environment. Let's just hope. 😜

vote.comment.share