Chapter 4

"I offended him." Rupali looked worried.

"You are sorry enough." Kalpana put her hand on her shoulder.

"How do you explain to someone how you feel?"

"You tell and they must understand because your eye could tell the truth." Dev said and gave her a glass of water.

"I hope so. I shall meet him again." She returned the earthen cup to him and Dev passed it on to the devotee who was giving water to other devotees.

"Should I give orders to find him? We are already collecting mangoes and giving them to poor people today, might as well find him." Kalpana asked.

"No no...I will be caught then. Mahadev will bring him to me so I can ask for forgiveness."

"Mahadev always listens to you." Dev sat beside her and looked at Kalpana asking for approval.

"He always listens to prayer done with pure intentions."

"Thanks for coming to the temple. And helping with distributing the mangoes. I know we are late now."

"I will handle it." Dev smiled.

"Dev. could you bring us the carriage? It will be night soon."

"I will fetch one. But first I have to ensure that Princess's order is been executed correctly." He gave a soft smile to Rupali and she returned with the same warmth. "Wait outside the temple till then."

Dev left and both the girls sat outside the temple on the bench.

"Did you hear your mother talking to Mrs Tomar."

"I did."

"They both are keen to get you and Dev married. It's serious."

"I know."

"Once Dev's father says yes it will be official. I don't think he will say no to you."

"Yes."

"So?"

"So what?" Rupali frowned at her.

"You like him?"

"He is a nice guy. I have known him for a long time now. He is a good man and has morals and a good reputation. He is my good friend."

Kalpana leaned back on the bench and thought for a while.

"It's better to marry him than Sanchi's Prince. Who you have never met before."

"100 times better," Rupali said "I don't feel anxious or scared about this marriage for the fact. I know how everything will play out. After a long time, I am at ease."

"I know. We have spent the last month worrying how the Prince of Sanchi will be." She patted Rupali's hand.

"He respects me and that is equal to love for me."

"He must know this too."

"Yes."

"Then why didn't he discuss this matter with you?"

"I have no idea. He might feel shy to talk about it. Like we have grown up together as brother-sister I never imagined marrying him" She paused for a while and then added. "And now that I think of it. Who is better for me other than him?"

.

.

.

.

vote.comment.share.