Chapter 9

"Sit properly and behave in front of the Queen." Aastha slapped Rupali's hand and Rupali dropped the Rasgulla

Both glared at each other. Rupali caught Laxmi watching her so she lowered her eyes and sat straight on cushions. Her mother Aastha took the bowl away from her,

"Princess Rupali, don't stress your mother so much." The Queen was trying hard not to laugh. Feeling embarrassed Rupali lowered her gaze.

It wasn't new to see mother-daughter flight but every time they did, it was a good show. Rupali's eyes wandered around the large room. All 10 servants were looking down but she bet they were laughing inside. Why Aastha had to control everything she did was a mystery to her. At last today Aastha proved that she can't even eat without her permission.

Laxmi saw Rupali looking at her and she signed. "Aastha let her eat." Laxmi said. A servant gave a new bowl to Rupali which she happily accepted.

Spreading her skirt evenly Rupali sat straight and kept her dupatta on both shoulders. She eats properly, not making noise and having a calm expression on her face. She looked at the Queen with a smile and the Queen chuckled.

"Why do you have to do this sister-in-law?" Aastha glared at Laxmi "She just had lunch." Aastha remarked who sat adjutant to Rupali and Laxmi.

"Rupali likes to eat so let her. It's just food." Laxmi said.

"She will get ill if she keeps eating mithai all day like this."

"I can take care of myself, mother." Ruapli said.

"She is right Aastha ." Queen Pramila rested her arm on the round cushion and moved her head closer to Aastha .

"Why do you have to be so strict with her?"

"She got food poisoning while travelling. Of course! She had to eat barriers from the wild." Aastha turned to Queen "I can't stop stressing. All of my 3 kids' listen to me except her."

Rupali kept the bowl down and looked at her mother in disbelief who she never misses a chance to make her feel small. Her face turned to stone. She signed the servant to make the bowl away and sat leaning back on the wall.

"She was raised by mother-in-law after all."

Aastha 's eyes widened at the remark. Questioning her grandmother's upbringing!

But was it something new? When did the Queen not make remarks about her mother-in-law? The surprising element was that now she had to say something like that in front of servants and Laxmi!

"She will be a rebel like her." Queen added.

"There is no need to drag mother in this" Laxmi's voice tightened.

Rupali's eyes burned in anger but Laxmi signalled her with eyes to stay quiet and so did her mother's glaring eyes which were boring holes in her soul.

"Don't get offended, my sister-in-law. I was stating facts. My Mother-in-law was such a rebel. From an early age, she told her stories herself." She said with a smile as she offered pan to Laxmi.

Her smile turned acids in Laxmi's stomach.

.

.

.

.

vote.comment.share