Chapter 3: Josephine

Josephine didn't think it was possible to have this many people at one wedding. It looked like the whole town had come.

"I think the whole town's here." Nico whispered to Josephine, reading her mind. Josephine nodded, and she spotted many people she knew and many people she didn't.

She saw Carlos looking at the Guzman's, staring longingly at Gabi. Gabi lifted her hand in a wave, and Carlos waved back, grinning like a puppy dog. Josephine couldn't wait to tease him about it.

Beside her stood Mabel, looking beautiful in a pink dress that went to her knees. Mabel's hair was braided into a crown, and she looked like a princess. Josephine was wearing a similar pink colored dress that had off the shoulder sleeves and lace lining the bottom. She had kept her hair down, for Dolores had always said she liked it best that way.

Josephine's coppery brown curls only went to her shoulders, not as long as Mabel's, and way more tangled. Josephine turned to her sister and saw her gazing at Camilo, who now had a red tie and a black jacket to complete his look. He didn't notice Josephine's sister staring at him, and Josephine really hoped he wouldn't.

Juno was tugging on his collar, complaining it was 'choking him' and Layla was too busy giggling with Antonio to care. The rest of the Madrigals looked beautiful. Isabela's long, silky hair was hung on one side of a glittery gold dress. She, Luisa and Mirabel were all bridesmaids to Dolores's wedding, alongside a few other young women who Josephine did not recognize.

On Mariano's side, Josephine didn't recognize any of the groomsmen, except for Fernand Peters, who happened to be a good friend of Mariano. Josephine wondered if Dolores remembered.

Pepa was holding Felix's hand and a small drizzly raincloud was hanging over her. She looked like she was about to cry. Josephine's parents were also with them, anxiously waiting for Dolores to walk down the aisle and be wed to Mariano.

Then, the music started to play, and two flower girls walked down the aisle, sprinkling pink and purple peony petals out of decorative wicker baskets. And then Dolores walked down, wearing her mother's wedding dress.

Josephine saw the rest of the Madrigals watch Dolores walk down the aisle with loving gazes. She even saw Camilo wipe at his eyes,

"I thank you all for coming today to unite Guzman and Madrigal in holy matrimony." The priest said, as Mariano and Dolores faced each other, smiling.

Beside Josephine, Mabel elbowed her sister,

"Dolores looks so pretty." She whispered, and Josephine nodded. Dolores did look very beautiful, with her crinkly brown curls pulled up in a bun, and her glistening gold veil trailing behind her. Josephine rememberd when she was younger, Dolores would braid her hair and tell her secrets that she would learn just by walking down the street everyday.

"I wish I was special like you." Josephine would say, and Dolores would always reply,

"Josephine Luella Irene, you need to see yourself the way I do. Perfect, beautiful, sweet and silly. You are so special, and you don't need any gift to prove that."

Now, standing here and watching Dolores be wed to the love of her life made Josephine tear up as well. Even though Dolores wasn't turned her way, Josephine still mouthed,

I'm so proud of you.

And Josephine really, truly was.

~*~

Dolores and Mariano were officially husband and wife, and the after-wedding party was packed with people, all excited and flushed with happiness from the newly wed couple.