Chapter 16: Josephine

It was never a birthday party without cake. Though some kids like to have homemade cupcakes or cookies or even rice pudding (which Josephine despised), cake was the best dessert at any party.

This cake, from Kat's Bakery, was the perfect shade of pink. It was a large cake, too, with three layers and Isabela's edible flowers lining the edges.

It was tradition to sing before the cake was cut, as was common, well, everywhere, so Marta Irene lit the sixteen candles that were buried nicely in the cake's pink icing.

"I want to thank everyone for coming to my daughter sixteenth birthday. This is a special day for her, and for me, too. So let's celebrate tonight by singing feliz cumpleaños!" Marta Irene announced. She turned to Josephine with tears in her eyes as she led everyone in singing Josephine happy birthday.

Josephine always felt awkward during the birthday song, but she radiated with joy as her friends and families' singing washed over her. Josephine felt very special in that moment.

"Make a wish, Jo." Carlos coaxed, giving Josephine a brotherly smile. Josephine closed her eyes, took a deep breath and made her wish:

I wish for a future full of dreams and romance. I wish for Camilo Madrigal.

~*~

And like magic, the wish seemed to work. The party had come to an end, and everyone was leaving the house, giving their last hugs and compliments to the birthday girl.

And of course, the Madrigals were the last to leave.

"Jos." It was Camilo. They were alone, just like Josephine had wanted, and suddenly she felt very nervous. Their families were in another room, and Josephine was pretty sure Mabel had something to do with her sister being alone with the boy she had wanted to talk to all evening.

Camilo gently grabbed her hand, and Josephine had a panicked thought that she was about to be kissed, but instead, he drew something out of his pocket,

"I wanted to give you your gift." He said, and held up two slips of paper. He placed them in her hand, and continued, "I know how much you love to travel, so I got you tickets for the annual train ride to the Andes. It's still a few months away, but I got you two tickets so you can take someone with you, like Mabel or Carlos or... or your mom..." Camilo swallowed hard,

"Why are you looking at me like that?" He asked. Josephine didn't know what to say. This was her dream gift. She had always wanted to visit the Andes Mountains, and now she was finally given that opportunity.

Josephine slowly placed her hands behind Camilo's neck, careful not to scare him away with any sudden movements. Boys were unpredictable.

"I want you to go with me." She said, so low that she didn't even think she said it aloud. Camilo swallowed again, and a small smile was forming on his lips. His hands snaked around her waist, as steady and sure as Josephine's movements had been.

"Did I hear that correctly? Did you say you wanted me?" He whispered, flashing her a teasing smile. Josephine rolled her eyes,

"I mean, I said I wanted you to go with—"

Camilo's lips instantly met hers. Josephine gasped, but she closed her eyes and kissed him back.

His hands traveled up her back, and she was sure he knew what he was doing. They both knew that this kiss meant that they were finally giving into each other, finally admitting that they wanted each other.

His lips were confident against hers, and Josephine tried to mirror his movements as her hands managed to get tangled in his fluffy curls.

"Thank you for the gift." Josephine murmured, still kissing Camilo. He tightened his arms around her, and they were so close that every inch of Josephine's body was touching his. Camilo pulled away, and their foreheads met,

"Jos, I have to ask you something." He sounded serious. Josephine smiled,

"Anything."

"Do you love me?" Josephine didn't hesitate a second before answering,

"Yes." Camilo's smile could have lit up the room. Butterflies formed in her stomach as he lightly touched his thumb to her cheek,

"Good, cause I love you, too."

It was like there was some sort of magnetic force pulling him to her, because they were instantly kissing again. Josephine had never felt so sure about anything in her whole life. Camilo's lips drew away from hers to plant several kisses on her cheeks, nose, forehead and any other exposed part of skin his lips could find. She felt herself flush as he continued to kiss her and kiss her and kiss her.

Camilo finally pulled away for good, and he looked giddy with happiness. He grabbed both of her hands this time and looked her in the eyes. Camilo stole Josephine's heart all over again as he whispered,

"Josephine Irene, you are my everything."

And Josephine really, truly believed it. 

awww omg this kiss is so perfect. yessss finally camilo got the girl!!

please please comment this story is almost done, i would love to hear what yall think of it!

stay safe and i love you guys!! <3