Red Velvet Cupcakes

Ingredients:
• 1/4 cup of softened butter
• 1 cup of sugar
• 1 tsp of vanilla essence
• 2 eggs
• 3/4 cup of buttermilk
• 1 1/3 cup of flour
• 3 tbsp of cocoa powder
• 1/2 tsp of baking soda (if you don't have, you can substitute it with 1 tsp of baking powder)
• 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder
• 1/2 tsp of apple cider vinegar/ white vinegar/ freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 1/2 tsp of salt (if you are using salted butter, you won't need the salt)
• 2oz of red food coloring if it's liquid OR around 1 tbsp of red food coloring if it's gel (you can add in more if it's not red enough)

Steps:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius

2. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar.

3. Add in the vanilla essence.

4. Mix in the eggs one at a time.

5. Mix the baking powder, flour, cocoa powder, and salt in another bowl.

6. In another small bowl, mix the red food coloring and buttermilk.

7. Alternate the buttermilk mixture and the flour mixture in 3 batches.

8. In a very small bowl, mix in the apple cider vinegar/ vinegar/ freshly squeezed lemon juice and the baking soda and quickly mix it into the cupcake batter.

9. Use an ice cream scoop to scoop in the batter into the cupcake liners until 2/3 full and bake it for 18-22 mins.

10. To check if it's done, poke it with a toothpick and if comes out clean with no wet batter on it, your done. If it comes out a bit wet, put it back into the oven for 2 mins.

11. Let the cupcakes cool and frost with cream cheese frosting or any frosting you desire.

12. Serve.

~~~ Cream cheese frosting recipe can be found on part 13.