THIRTY ONE

━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━

ZENDAYA

"I'm sorry."

"Hey, about that time I broke up with you..."

"What's up?"

Zendaya scrunched her nose in frustration, turning her back to the mirror. She flopped onto her bed, turning around so that she was looking up towards her ceiling.

"What am I doing?" She groaned and massaged her temples with her fingertips. "Rehearsing in front of a mirror... who am I?"

Ever since her talk with Angourie, Zendaya had thought non-stop about her next conversation with Tom. Her mind was racing about where they would meet, what they would talk about, and most importantly, how to communicate her very complicated feelings towards him. That is... if he even wanted to acknowledge her. All the times they had seen each other at any event, he'd given her less than a second of his time. 

Not that it was his fault. It was hers, partly. 

Tonight, Zendaya was in attendance for another high-profile party, and since she and Tom both shared the same stylist, Law had given her a hint that her ex would be there as well. As much as she hated getting dressed up just to chat and drink for a couple of hours, Zendaya's motives lay elsewhere. Despite her scare with Trevor, Zendaya was determined to go against her own usual thinking and march right up to Tom and tell him everything. However, it was easier said than done. 

A knock snapped Zendaya out of her thoughts as Law walked in holding her dress for tonight. It was a long, emerald green gown and when Zendaya put it on, it wrapped around her curves perfectly. The silk almost fused with her skin, moving like one as she admired herself in the very same mirror she had been practicing her 'lines' with. 

"And, the final touch," Law finished clasping the giant emerald and silver necklace that shined when it hit the light along Zendaya's neck.

While Zendaya looked fine on the outside, her stomach took continuous rolls within her, nerves wracking her mind. A million questions waiting to be answered swarmed her very being, and she could barely breathe as she entered the car. 

Stepping out onto the carpet, Zendaya was met with eye-blinding flashes from the seemingly millions of cameras in front of her. She had been doing this her whole life, but now more than ever, Zendaya felt like she was going to crack, like an old fragile vase made up of the most delicate china. 

She promptly ignored the many questions from the paparazzi, quickly making her way into the party, ignoring the frequent looks of worry Darnell was flashing towards her. 

"I'm fine," Zendaya reminded her assistant as they walked in, jazz music making its way into her ears and the smell of freshly baked pastries entering her senses.