TWENTY EIGHT

━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━

ZENDAYA

We need to talk.

Zendaya nervously pressed send on her phone before sliding it across the kitchen table, almost nervous at what Tom might say next. She could barely breathe as the words that Trevor had said rang in her head. 

End it.

Suddenly, Zendaya's stomach turned sour as the feeling of tiredness came over her. It felt like the drama in her life never ended — like happiness would never be something she could experience for more than a few days.

She didn't know what to do anymore.

She felt miserable, and all Zendaya wanted was to be in the arms of her boyfriend, someone who could make her crack a smile even on the darkest days but what would happen when that someone was gone?

She thought of Tom's career, and how much that meant to him. She saw the way some kids ran up to him, their eyes twinkling with adoration at the person they looked up to most in the world. Tom lived for that — he lived to make other people happy. Zendaya couldn't imagine taking all that away from him, not when that was what made him the happiest.

She had been selfish before; she had always wanted to put their relationship first. But this wasn't some fairytale where every couple worked out. This was real life. And when Trevor had threatened to ruin Tom's career, Zendaya knew what she had to do.

But that didn't make it any less hard. 

Zendaya thought that they had gone through the hard stuff. Maybe, just maybe, they deserved to be happy for a few more months. But maybe this was a sign that Zendaya and Tom just weren't meant to be. 

Maybe, they were better off apart.

The ringing of her phone snapped Zendaya out of her thoughts, limiting them before they could get worse. The name shined brightly on the screen, indicating a Facetime call that she dreaded to answer. 

She knew what she had to do, but she knew the moment Tom's face popped on the screen, she would crumble. After all, that's what she did best most of the time: rely on him. 

Zendaya took a deep breath, shaking her head, muttering words of encouragement to herself as she pressed the accept button on her phone.

If only she was prepared to see what state Tom was in.

He looked tired, dark circles underlining his once lively eyes and he seemed to be wearing a simple black hoodie that looked days old. Despite all of this, he was still able to crack his best smile for Zendaya.

And it broke her heart.

She could feel pieces of herself shatter as she tried to say something — anything. However, only tears made it's way to the back of her eyes, tears that she refused to shed to show her weakness.