Her Injuries

*Esme's POV*

We walked in silence for a while. I could feel a ton of eyes on me, my whole body was tense while the girls lead me somewhere.

"Do you know what happened to you?" A blonde girl asked me, I was surprised by the sudden question. I guess she saw my moment of alarm and her hands flew up in a surrendering gesture.

"Sorry, sorry, I didn't mean to scare you!" She rushed, "I promise I won't hurt you."

My eyes narrowed and my face scrunched up in confusion. I couldn't understand. 'Why do people keep telling me that?' I ask myself. I just returned my gaze to the ground in front of me.

We reached a building shortly after and I stopped roughly 15ft from the door. I wasn't comfortable entering this building, not with so many people, I wouldn't be able to get away.

"What's in there?" I asked, my voice somewhat monotone and definitely sceptical. I raised an eyebrow, crossing my arms as I spoke while shifting my weight onto one leg, and eyeing the girl who seemed to be the leader.

"It's where we treat people who are injured." She replied blankly.

I tilted my head in response. "Okay~? So~, why did you bring me here?" I questioned, confusion apparent in my tone of voice.

This seemed to have surprised all of them. They all gave me blank stares or looked at me in confusion.

"Esme." I heard Aris whisper in my ear from behind me. "You're hurt." He said gently.

I turned around to face him, dropping my arms to my sides. "What are you talking about?" I asked him.

"Your face is a little banged up. Your arms, too." He explained. "The medics are going to check you over and see how bad you're hurt." He said.

"No." I said breathlessly, "How can I trust them not to hurt me or trap me?" I asked calmly.

His gaze moved from my face to behind me, probably looking at the leader. He nodded and returned his attention back to me, a small half smile on his face. "I'll stay with you if that helps." He says.

I could tell he was trying to comfort me. I knew I should be more suspicious of him but I couldn't help but let myself trust him.

"Okay

"Okay." I agreed quietly.

'So that's why they're all walking on eggshells around me, great.' I thought.

Aris, me, the leader, and the blonde from before entered the hut. Everyone else remained outside as the medics looked me over.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Apparently I'm really banged up, which explains the soreness. There are bruises and cuts all over my body, the medics said it's possible I might have a few fractured bones.

Aris fell asleep on the other bed in here, everyone else had left to give me time to rest.

When I was sure everyone was gone I slipped the needle and the note out of my pocket now that I had enough light to see.

The needle was a round, metal cylinder with the letters W.C.K.D. printed on it, and a small glass opening. Whatever substance was inside before isn't there now, it's empty.

I set the needle to the side and opened the note I had, reading it entirely.

'GET OUT OF THE BOX. Your name is Esme, you weren't supposed to be sent up into the maze. You broke in and erased your own memories. It was your only chance to not get brought back out immediately. Trust the people here, help them and escape together. Stay with Aris, protect eachother. Never forget.

W.C.K.D. IS WRONG.'

I read the note in my head. I stared at the paper in my hands trying to decide what to do next. Attempting to process the information I just received.

'Can you hear me?'

I hear Aris's voice in my head. I gasped and whipped my head to look at the boy. He still lays there with his eyes closed. I close my eyes and try to call out to him with my thoughts like I did before.

'Aris?'

'Esme.'

'How is this possible?'

"I don't know." I hear a groggy voice from a few feet beside me say. "It'll be okay though."

I open my eyes and stare at the boy who's eyes are now open and staring back at me. He remains laying down though so I take a deep breath to calm myself and I lay down on my bed, facing Aris.

I pondered what I wanted to say for a few moments. Still processing everything. Neither of us know what's going on, so asking questions or trying to understand would be kinda pointless.

"I'm glad." I mumble while staring at the boy who lays just out of arms reach.

He raises an eyebrow at my statement.

"What do you mean." He asks and I respond immediately.

"I'm glad it's you I can share my thoughts with somehow." I answer. "I don't know why-" I continue before he can speak, "but I feel safe with you. Like, this is just.. right." I finish.

We shared a moment of silence before I finally felt sleep pull me towards it.

"Stay with me." I mumble, barely audible in the mess of sleepiness that has overtaken me.

'Always.' His voice rang in my head and a small smile made it's way to my face for just a moment. Then I finally welcomed the peacefulness of sleep.

Hello loves!

A slightly shorter one I know. I hope you enjoyed it either way.

Have a wonderful day!! See you in the next one!