Chapter 9: Secrets

Α~Δ~Ω ~ Α~Δ~Ω ~ Α~Δ~Ω

July 27, 2012 3:39 p.m.

Venice was up now. She looked new, like she wasn't struck by a monster's poisonous tail. She sat on the truck bed, facing us. Her face was unreadable, free of emotion. This has been going on for about thirty minutes. Rogelio kept on calling her name but she ignored it. She was physically there but mentally gone.

"Venice."

Silence.

"Venice. Tell us how you feel."

A blank stare.

"Venice. Talk to us."

Nothing.

Eventually, Rogelio got frustrated and turned his back towards her. All throughout the journey Kimberley held her hand. It's like she's afraid that physical-Ven will disappear like mental-Ven.

Everywhere we look, trees covered the area. Cars and trucks pass by occasionally but, aside from that, it looks like we were in an abandoned forest. Weeds sprung from the ground. Moss covered the trunks of gigantic trees. When we reached the part of the road where some trees have fallen, Drei used his powers to move them. When he got tired, Max made a huge hole under the trees. They fell down to who knows where. Maybe they can finally join the other trees in Elysium.

We kept on going without any interruptions. We were so silent you can actually hear a pin drop. James tried to make conversation even if what he says is intelligent for him but no one's in the mood to reply to him. Despite of that, he didn't stop.

"What a day, huh?"

"I miss camp. Don't you?"

"So, I finally read the physics book Caroline- a daughter of Athena- gave me. Now, I'm interested in physics. Especially in Newton's Laws of Motion. Like, this truck is an example of Newton's First Law. It's stated in the First Law, or Law of Inertia, that an object in motion stays in motion unless an outside force acts on it. Unless, Dan hits the breaks or something blocks our way, we will stay in motion. Us in this truck is also an example of the First Law. It's also stated that an object at rest will remain at rest unless an outside force acts on it. We are at rest. We're not moving in this truck. So, if something happens to this truck, we will be thrown forward.

"On to the next law! The Second Law of Motion is—-"

Dan hit the brakes suddenly and we were thrown forward. I looked at Dan angrily but he was angrier than all of us.

James, though, looked happy. "See? A perfect example of Newton's First Law of Motion!"

"Hey, James," Dan said. "Why don't you shut the Hades up?!"

"I was just lightening up the mood . . ."

"No, you're making it more awful."

"Actually," Max said. "I kinda like James' attitude."

James gestured to Max and looked at Dan. "See?! They like it!"

"Uhm, nuh-uh," Rogelio said. "I'm trying so hard not to strangle you here."

Kimberley shook her head. "Well, at least James is trying to lift up the tension somehow."

"Well, this Newton's whatever is easing it up for us, yeah?" Drei said to Kimberley.

Soon, all of them were taking sides; one side praising James' positivity, the other side wanting to kill him. The only ones silent were me, Belle, and Venice. Until I lost it.