Chapter 3: Flashbacks and Echoes

To James Patrick Hijastro, for being a great friend and for all the laughs we had and will have.

Α~Δ~Ω ~ Α~Δ~Ω ~ Α~Δ~Ω

September 5, 1867 5:41 p.m. (The Past)

“But, milady,” Jaya said. “I do not understand. Why would we go there? Can’t we join you?”

“I am so sorry, my faithful lieutenant,” Lady Artemis said. “This hunt is strictly for the gods only. I am afraid you have to stay at Camp. It will only be for 2 weeks. If the Fates grant us luck then, maybe one week.”

“But—“ Jaya tried to reason but was cut off.

“No buts,” Artemis said sternly. “I dismiss you.”

Thirty seconds pass silently until Jaya mumbled a “Yes, milady.”

Belle was standing beside the tent, listening intently to Jaya and Artemis’ conversation.

She was wearing the newly designed Hunters’ dress. She was adorned in a silver sleeveless dress that went down, just an inch, below the knee. Silver laces were sewn at the hem of the dress. The black belt around her waist was studded with little diamonds. Two hunting knives were hanging from each side of the belt. A red coat was draped over her shoulders. Her brown combat boots were covered in mud, so is the hem of the coat. Her long black hair was done in a braid.

Artemis’ hide out was secluded deep in the forest. The only obstacles in the way were the giant tree roots and the knee-high mud.

Belle hid behind a tree as Jaya went out of the tent. Jaya was wearing the same Hunters’ dress only she was wearing a silver polos on her head. Her sun-kissed skin is pale. Her brown eyes are wide and searching.

Jaya started to walk away from the tent. Belle counted to ten before she followed Jaya. Belle remained hidden behind the trees so Jaya can’t see her. She doesn’t want Jaya to know that she was eavesdropping.

Just when they were a few feet from the clearing they have set camp on, Jaya turned around. She stared right at the tree where Belle was hiding. “You can come out, Belle,” she said. “I know you are there.”

Belle was startled. How did she know? Belle thought.

Belle showed up from her hiding place. “How did you know?!” Belle asked.

Jaya shrugged. “I usually have these feelings and instincts and I trust them.”

Jaya started to walk to the clearing and Belle followed her. The others were setting up camp. Julianne, Thea, and Lily were setting up their tent in a far corner of the clearing. Natalie and Alexa were making a fire. Fira was perched up on a tree branch, picking apples, while Cynthia was holding up a basket at the base of a tree. Maria was braiding Tess’ hair. Sarah was washing her hair in a nearby stream, a few feet from the clearing. The others are either hunting the forest for food or in their tents.

Jaya sat on the log in front of the fire. Belle followed.

“So,” Belle said. “What did you talk about?”

“Don’t act like you did not hear what we said,” Jaya said. She pulled out her hunting knife.

“I only heard parts of it,” Belle replied. “I was being attacked by mosquitoes.”

Jaya laughed. “That’s what you get for eavesdropping on us.”  She was tending the fire with the knife.

“I only did it since I know you won’t tell me what you discussed,” Belle said. “Besides, I know you won’t tell us the whole thing.”