Chapter 4: The Demigods of the 21st Century

To Rogelio Jardeloza Jr., the corniest person I have ever met.

Α~Δ~Ω ~ Α~Δ~Ω ~ Α~Δ~Ω

June 22, 2012 7:49 a.m.

“RATS!” Sarah screamed.

Sarah scrambled onto the top of the nearest table as three rats scurry around the floor. That was a mistake. The furniture in the factory was really old so when Sarah got on top of the table it broke and she went tumbling on the floor.

Molly, who was recruited ten years after I was, tried to help Sarah but immediately jerk back because little black things were climbing up and down her.

“ROACHES!” Sarah screamed as she got up and tried to swat away the insects.

“Please,” Belle murmured to me. “They’re just little creatures that don’t want to be bothered.”

I snickered. “Says the one who climbed on me just to get away from a little arachnid.”

She scowled. “They have little hairy legs and really nasty pincers!”

Sarah finally got rid of the roaches but one bit on her neck. “Eeewww!” she exclaimed. “Someone get me nectar! And HURRY UP!”

“I think the Fates are doing us a favor,” I said. “I just wish they let the roaches bite her whole body.”

Belle laughed. Sarah heard her laugh and glared at our direction. Molly brought her the nectar. She was like a mini Sarah but she was kinder and nicer than her. Sarah took the nectar and started rubbing the nectar on her neck.

I cleared my throat. “Start packing. We’re burning daylight.”

Α~Δ~Ω ~ Α~Δ~Ω ~ Α~Δ~Ω

June 22, 2012 10:14 a.m.

“What’s wrong?” Belle asked. “You look worried. Is this about Sarah? She brought it to herself, you know.”

I hesitated. “It’s not about her,” I said. Should I tell her about the voice? Should I even tell her the truth about me? How will she react to it? Will she be mad at me? I just said, “Just thinking about what happened the last time you were there.”

Belle didn’t look satisfied with my answer but she nodded. “Don’t worry; some of them are secretly excited to come back to Camp. Good things also happened to us.”

“Like what?”

“Like . . . the chariot races. We left them in the dust last time.” She scratched her head and rested her chin on her hand, the way she always does when she was thinking. “Also, we beat them at pegasus riding, canoe racing, hunting, and wall climbing.”

“I thought the others were blown by fireworks?”

“Yeah, but the head of security, Argus, was there along with a hellhound.”

I gaped in disbelief. “There’s a hellhound at Camp?”

“Don’t worry. It’s friendly, I think.”

Well, that’s a happy thought. We passed a fence and into a valley with dead wheat. I can just make out an abandoned hut at the distance. Signs that say ‘Beware!’ and ‘Do not enter!’ and ‘Keep out!’ were placed at the fence.  “This is a nice place,” I said sarcastically. “Do we have to pass here?”

“Yep,” she answered. “It’s on the other side of the valley.”

“Then why . . .” I trailed off, gesturing around us.