Chapter 7

"Help! Somebody help!"

The young mother knelt down beside the young boy who seemed to be lying lifeless on the ground. She knew she could have used her powers, but there were too many eyes. Her husband too was lying on the ground but he seemed to not have sustained any serious injury.

She looked around, wondering why no one was helping.

Then she knew she couldn't wait any longer. Without sparing anyone a look or listening to her human thoughts, she wrapped her arms around the boy and was in the hospital within 247 zeptoseconds.

The Attending physician who had been working on that floor was startled when he saw the woman appear close to the nearest ward.

"I must be really tired. I'm seeing things already." He said to himself. But his senses quickened when he realized the woman was in one of the wards. How she got there, he had no idea. So he went to her and was moved to worry when he saw the child in her arms.

Without a word, he watched her put the child on the bed and he quickly made the call for his nurse.

"What happened?" He asked the woman as he began using his stethoscope on the young boy.

"I - he and his father were crossing the road to meet me in the store but I think - I think the driver had malfunctioning brakes. They got hit. His father - my husband, is fine. But my son -" She sniffed as the tears began to fall down her cheeks.

"Please save my son." She pleaded.

The doctor was full of compassion as he stared at the young mother. It didn't matter that he should be on his way out to lunch right now. This young boy reminded him of his late nephew who died in Finland over a year ago.

It didn't matter that he'd been working a twelve hour shift. He would do all it took to save this boy.

Ian's POV

I wake up from the dream or should I say the nightmare.

It seems to be the same circle of events. But it seems like the dream restarts to the part about the young boy around this time every year.

The young boy is wounded and then his mother miraculously gets him to the hospital, and the doctor's desire to help the mother. And then -

I look around for my phone as the sound of it awakens my consciousness.

It was a dream after all.

I search for my phone. Where the heck could it be?

It's stopped ringing all of a sudden. I dismiss the thoughts of my phone as I look to my right side where my alarm system is, and check the time. It's five o' clock. Right on time. I rake my left hand through my chestnut brown hair as I climb out of bed and finally find my phone at the foot of my bed.

I slowly turn it to see the screen and find thirty-five missed calls and twenty two text messages. I click open the first message.

"Ian, it's Irene. Happy birthday. I hope you enjoy your day today. I miss you. I wish you'd call me back."

A slight frown forms on my face at the sight of the text message. I don't remember ever telling any Irene about my birthday. Who is -

Then a realization dawns on me. Irene must be one of the women I met recently. I don't usually tell people anything about myself. What they know they find from the internet or on TV.

And I could care less if the media gives them a false narrative.

I place my phone back on my nightstand and my eyes find a note.