Chapter 10

Ian's POV

"We'll be arriving in Chicago tomorrow."

The words seem to not want to sink in. I sigh as I ask my dad who seems to not be moved by his words. "Aren't you supposed to be back next week? Why the change of heart?"

I wait as he takes a deep breath and replies, "Your mother misses you. Also, we've been gone for months. I think it's time to come home and see how things are going at the company, or don't you think so?"

I pause to take in what he just said. It makes sense, come to think of it. They really have been gone for three months now. It'll be good to see my parents again though. Somehow, I think that they travel so much just to avoid me, especially my dad.

"Okay, dad. I'm looking forward to seeing you both tomorrow. What time would you be arriving?"

I can hear some movements in the background as my dad answers, "4pm."

"Okay, great. Would you like me to come pick you guys up at the airport?"

"No, son, our driver will be at the airport." He says quickly and I quickly disregard the disappointment that I am beginning to feel as I respond, "okay. I'll stop by on Friday then."

"Alright. See you soon."

"You, too, dad. Bye."

As soon as the call ends, I slump on the chair in the center of the long conference table, wondering why my dad has always seem distant for as long as I can remember. As far as I know, I've done quite well with the company. Better than that, since I became CEO, we've trailblazed the Oil and Gas industry for four years in a row.

My dad should be nothing short of impressed, right?

I sigh again as I get up and I'm about to walk out of the conference room when I feel the slight ache in my head. I step back to my chair and sit down, wondering why all of a sudden I'm feeling this intense pain.

This headache...

The only time I feel this pain is after that incessant dream. Or nightmare.

What's going on with me?

I place a hand on my head as I check the time on my phone, but I'm unable to see the screen clearly.

What's happening to me?

I shut my eyes as the pain intensifies. Then I place my head on the desk...

****

Safa's POV

I check my time on my phone as soon as I finish the last document. 2:00pm.

Good. I smile at myself at my effectiveness as I gather the documents to get ready to give them to Mr. Trace.

At the thought of Mr. Trace, I glance at his office and see that he is seated, his eyes sternly focused on something on his computer screen, and his fingers are typing away on the keyboard. I squint my eyes at the thought of not knowing when he had actually come back to the office.

I must have been so engrossed in my work that I didn't notice. But then I would have noticed him. I shove the thoughts away as I make my way to his office. But as I'm about to knock on his door, my eyes fall on the card on my desk. I quickly walk away from his office door to get the birthday card.

Why on earth did I agree to do this?

I release a quick sigh as I walk back in the direction of his office with the card in my hand.

Then I take a moment to gather my thoughts before knocking on his door.

****
Ian's POV

"Come in." I say without taking my eyes off of my laptop. I know who just walked in, judging from the gentle but firm steps.

"The documents?" I ask her, my eyes still focused on my screen. I wait as she clears her throat before replying, "yes, sir. I'm finished with them."

"Good." I say to her and then raise my eyes to meet hers as she extends her hands with the documents to me. I retrieve the documents from her and my brows furrow when I feel something beneath the documents. I place the documents on my table and bring out from underneath them the thing I'd felt earlier.

I raise my eyes to Safiya again, my brows saying everything my mouth doesn't need to.

She clears her throat again.

"I meant to hand that to you myself. A few of us wanted to give you the card. Happy birthday, sir."

I feel speechless at her words. Things like these usually annoy me but somehow this time I don't feel annoyed. I can't fully put into words what I actually feel but it's definitely far from being annoyed.

I take a look at the card in my hand and realize that she is still standing.

I motion for her to sit, and curse under my breath for letting her stand that long.

Then I open the card and begin reading its content.

I steal a few glances her way as I read the card. And each time I do, she seems to be looking in another direction. Then my eyes fall on the names and signatures. My heart immediately responds at the sight of her name signed on the card.

Safa.

I wonder what her name actually means. I make a mental note to do some research later.

Although I prefer to call her Safiya, Safa sounds perfect too. I fight to hold back the smile that I can feel is about to form on my face. Then I clear my throat and I am about to say thank you when a certain image flashes in my mind.

The little girl.

I shake the thought out of my mind as another image comes in. The one of my head on the desk in the conference room about an hour ago. All I remember is the annoying and painful headache I was feeling, and then my head on the desk in the conference room. After that, it's a blank space. I don't remember anything else after that.

I must be going crazy.

I put the card back in the envelope and look up to find her eyes everywhere else but on me.

"Thank you." I say to her and watch as she returns her eyes to me.

"You're welcome. I'll make sure to let the others know." She says with a smile and I can feel my heart race.

As soon as she leaves my office, I release the air from my mouth I didn't realize I'd been holding.

****

Safa's POV

"The way he looks at you."

That's the thought that keeps coming to mind as I try to focus for the rest of the day. I have less than two hours and I'll be on my way home.

Why does that sentence alone make me feel some type of way? And then Mr. Trace had thanked me for the card. Somehow, that act doesn't surprise me. I know he seems mean and arrogant on the outside, but I somehow feel that that's not the real him.

The person I'd seen a few minutes ago seems to be the real Ian Trace. I drink some of the water I'd gotten at McDonald's as I will my heart to stop beating strangely. Then I am about to focus on my computer when my phone vibrates.

I look at the caller ID and a frown forms on my face. I quickly text him to let him know that I am at work and will call him when I get home. Then as I place the phone back on my desk, another call comes in. I am about to angrily push the end button when my heart skips a beat.

Mom.

**** See you next Monday!😌

Please don't forget to VOTE and LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.❤

Pri. xoxo