memories

•be sure to pay attention to the timeline•

"So, I was thinking.." Eddie begins. "Well, don't hurt yourself." I joke, watching the houses fly by as we speed down the road. "Okay, well, no need to be a bitch, uh, I was wondering if maybe I could come over tomorrow?" I give him a weird look and he looks back at me, "Eyes on the road, doofus." I laugh, "Since when did you have to ask to come over? You've been coming over since we learned how to ride bikes." He flashes me a smile, "I know, I just thought maybe you'd be busy tomorrow, but I've been happily mistaken."

Eddie and I have always been best friends, through thick and thin, but more recently it seems our relationship has.. escalated. Not in a bad way, but in more of a serious way, which is ironic because Eddie is the most unserious person I know. Eddie's not my only friend, obviously, but he's the one that's been there for me when I've needed him most. It reminds me of the very first day we met.

November 20th, 1970

"We have a new student in class, everyone, say hi to Y/N." The girl was nervous. Moving to a small town in Hawkins from Chicago is a big change for only a 5 year old. "Hi, Y/N." The class mumbled. Y/N noticed all the girls in their dresses and skirts, the boys in their colorful polos. The day hadn't even begun and Y/N already knew she wasn't going to fit in. That was until a young boy sitting apart from the rest of the class caught her eye. The teacher placed her hand on the girls shoulder, "Take a seat, dear."

Y/N walked past all the other desks of children staring at her and decided to sit next to the boy with the backpack decorated with pins and buttons. Once she took a seat, the class returned to their conversations as the teacher began working at her desk. "Hi, I'm Y/N." She tapped him on the shoulder, but he didn't move. She looked down at her lap and fidgeted with the straps of her overalls, worried she had already made a bad impression.

"My name is Eddie." She looked up and the boy was facing her now. "Hi Eddie." She noticed he was wearing a Led Zeppelin shirt. "I like that band." He looked to where her hand was pointing and a grin spread across his face as he realized what she was talking about. "Me too." He said, "They're my favorite." The two children talked about their common interests until they were interrupted by the bell dismissing them from school.

They didn't know it then, but the friendship they kindled that day would last forever.

January 16th, 1986.

Thinking back to a simpler time made me realize how much we've been through together. Especially when we almost lost our lives to that Demogorgon that tried to kill us and our friends last year. Until today, I've never really thought about how well we compliment each other. "So, where did you say you needed to go?" Eddie asked, pulling me out of my thoughts. I had originally planned to go spend some time with Nancy, but decided against it last minute. "I don't know, do you have any errands you need to run?"

He shrugs and continues driving. I lean forward to turn on the radio and Huey Lewis and The News starts to play. "Christ, 'Hip to Be Square'? That has to be the dumbest song title I've ever heard." I laugh at Eddie's frustration, "I think it's supposed to be, like, sexual?" I had no idea what it meant either, but it was amusing to me how much he disliked the song. "I'll save you the trip to therapy," I turn the knob and search for a station with better music as we stop at a stoplight.

"Yes! Motörhead!" Eddie turns up the volume, "This is music." This time of day was relatively busy, given it was a Friday night, the streets were quite crowded. I took note of this when cars going the opposite direction of us began to stop, except for one, and our light turned green. "Eddie, that guy isn't stopping." I warn as we accelerate forward. We were in the middle of the intersection when both of us looked to our left to see only a pair of headlights collide with the drivers side of our car.