The Shadow's Keeper

SEREN

"There's no reason for you to join," Seren grumbled for what must have been the tenth time that morning.

Back in Velaris, she sat slumped in a chair over a table in the large kitchen. Like everything in the river house, the kitchen was understated, yet lavish. Everything was new and of impeccable quality, but it wasn't gaudy or matched to the titles of the two rulers that owned it. It left Seren wondering if Rhys's townhouse was decorated similarly or if this was Feyre's influence because he certainly hadn't grown up like this. At least, not when he'd been in Velaris since their father had enjoyed all the ornate things life had to offer.

Poking her strips of bacon into the center of a runny egg was becoming tiresome and if Rhys continued his bothersome antics much longer, she'd throw the remnants of a peeled-apart croissant at his face, just as Nyx had already done.

"Seren," Rhys said in a too-calm voice. "There are an infinite number of ways this visit could go wrong."

"Yes, yes," Mor groaned. "And we've already heard them all."

"You and Emerie ought to join," Cassian said with a mouthful of food. "You two are sure to pique Helion's interest."

With a quick burst of simple magic, Mor reduced food piled on Cassian's place to dust. When he began coughing it up as well, Seren realized she'd done the same to everything in his mouth as well. "It's too early to be reminded of that short-lived fling."

Seren's brows rose at that. Mor and Helion together was, unfortunately, something she could imagine, but hearing of it so causally now just made her feel more out of the loop. She'd missed so many romances, parties, battles, and mundane events. Time she'd never get back.

"Lasted all night," Cassian groaned as he scraped off his tongue, still fussing over the same topic.

"That's quite enough," Rhys interjected before Mor could make a scathing remark or use any more magic. "I'll mediate with Helion and ensure that everything goes smoothly."

In a last-ditch effort, Seren snapped, "You don't trust that Azriel can handle it? Surely, you are needed here." The Illyrian's name rolled off her tongue before she could reel it in. The tendons in her neck tensed as she fought the desire to peek around and gauge his reaction to her small outburst. But she wouldn't allow herself that because she would never be able to pull her eyes away.

Rhys glowered at Seren until Feyre shot him a look. Not only were things still strained between them, but she also didn't want to be alone with Azriel and Rhys for any length of time, fearing her brother would somehow take one look at the pair of them and know what had almost happened. Unable to trust that she could keep all emotion from her face, Seren lowered her gaze back to her food and tried to keep her heart rate steady.

Seren and Azriel hadn't yet talked since the cumbersome ladies of the Court of Nightmares had kept her sequestered in her suite for two days after the incident, claiming it would protect her modesty. In truth, she was begrudgingly thankful for the forced separation, for she hadn't quite worked out what she wanted to say to him yet. Part of her wanted to give in to her embarrassment and profusely apologize and another part of her wanted to resume precisely where they'd let off.

Being smothered by females trying to gain her favor didn't stop Seren from hearing a gruesome rumor of what Azriel had been doing during their time apart. The gory details told to her reverently by Geraldina, who'd apparently heard from a guard, should have disturbed Seren, but she was only taken aback by what his actions might mean.

"Seren," Rhys said with an exasperated sigh before ignoring her harsh question. "I happen to enjoy Helion's company every once in a while and dealing with this shadowy spell is not my only business in the Day Court."