With You

SEREN

The dungeons burrowed in the belly of the Hewn City were a place Seren could have blissfully avoided for the entirety of her life. Despite being closer to the source of the magma that was pulled up by magic from ancient miners, the cells were unbearably cold, having been cut off from all heat by wards. Seren's fury failed to warm her and it chilled over upon her arrival.

Mor, who'd journeyed down with her, had grown quieter with each level until her silence became palpable at the arched doors to the entrance.

"You don't need to join me," Seren softly said as she forced all traces of anger from her tone. She wasn't angry with Mor, but just angry in general. Betrayal did that to a person.

Mor was quiet for several long beats before she parted her quivering, red lips. "I was left here once...After Cassian..." She took a deep breath. "It's an awful punishment, Seren. You would...you know."

The unevenness of Mor's words was disturbing. Seren was unused to her cousin sounding any less than confident. "It will be more efficient if you seek out your informants in the court and city for information on Gwyn. I can handle this."

Mor bit her bottom lip and appeared apprehensive, but the horrors she faced in a cell won out. She nodded and flicked her gaze to Adrik. "Keep this one with you."

Seren waited until Mor was out of sight before turning to the commander that had followed her through her destructive path. "You seem to have won over the shining ruby of this court."

Adrik was far less playful than usual, but he still offered a weak quirk of his mouth. "Morrigan determined her father is growing threatened by me, but her favor no longer holds the weight it once did here. Rumor has it she wants to be rid of her duties here."

"And whose favor is now coveted?"

Adrik's grin widened to something closer to flirtatious, though it didn't reach his eyes. "Playing ignorant doesn't suit you, my dark lady."

Seren shouldered past him and pressed her hand into the cool stone door. Upon recognizing her authority, the doors slowly opened inward.

The cells were numerous and mostly unoccupied, though Seren made a mental note to get a full report on the charges against the few prisoners she heard pleading behind thick iron doors. It must take quite a lot to be deemed horrible enough for a cell here. Freeing anyone and everyone would surely spite Keir, but she was beginning to learn a thing or two about consequences and bearing guilt.

Moving to a door in the middle of the row after a stone-faced guard silently pointed it out, she slowly pushed it open after the ward gave way. Met with a darkness she couldn't see past, she snatched a lit torch from near the guard and ventured inside.

The abnormal darkness tried to devour the orange flames until she held out her other hand and sucked it into herself. It gave her a cold rush of energy that she channeled into keeping her feet planted firmly on the ground when she saw the state Meera had been left in.

Chains cascading down from each corner of the ceiling held two uncovered, bony arms up at a brutal angle, leaving Meera barely able to hunch over her scraped knees. A stained, white shift did a poor job of covering her, but in the darkness, there was no need to hide.

Slowly, Meera tilted her head up and squinted at the torch through the lifeless bangs stuck to her forehead. When her gaze slid over, Seren noted the bright color lacking.

Meera said nothing as Seren moved closer, but her eyes tracked each step.

"I'm sure I can find something to break the chains with," Adrik said as he inspected the shackle gnawing into one of Meera's bloody wrists.