To Learn

SEREN

SEREN

The silvery stars outlining the monstrous peak of the Hewn City seemed to twinkle more than usual upon their return. Looking up with a satisfied smile parting her face, Seren wanted to think they were applauding her successful scheme. It was a dinner sure to go down as a legend and she could hardly believe she'd witnessed it, let alone planned it. She wanted to holler for joy, twirl until she fell, and—

"What have you done?" Keir growled as he pushed his weeping wife at Mikol and rounded on Seren. His flared nostrils and deep frown were close to ruining her elation. "You've made fools of us all!" His hands snapped forward and gripped her wrist. Twisting, he scowled deeply at the ruby she'd not returned.

"Speak for yourself," Nesta said as she took a step closer, lest she need to rip him away. Seren gave her a look expressing that she could handle the Steward.

"It's not my fault that Beron allowed himself to be set up so easily," Seren said with a stream of chuckles. She ripped her hand away and toyed with the ring that Solana had given on the condition that Seren avoided killing any of her sons in the chaos. She'd wanted to end Lennox in front of all the dinner guests, but Solana had offered herself up like a lamb for slaughter in hopes that something might finally change in her family. If Eris could manage it, she'd soon be a widow. "Had Beron quelled his temper tantrum and taken a moment to consider..."

A pale hand moved in a blur, connecting with her lower cheek and lip so hard that Seren's neck cramped as it whipped to the side. "Well-bred ladies do not involve themselves in the politics of other courts."

Silence ensued as Keir's hissing remark settled around the group waiting to reenter the stone gates. Slowly, Seren's eyes shifted back to the blonde male she despised having any relation to. To her surprise and satisfaction, the side of his face was equally as red as hers must be and blood dripped down from his split lip. Darting her tongue out, Seren tasted her own blood and smiled cruelly. She'd thought their bargains prevented them from harming each other, but they only ensured equal pain.

Remind him who you are.

"As you've mentioned many times," Seren said as she spat blood out of her mouth, "I'm not well-bred at all. And Illyrian's don't feel pain in the same manner as polished High Fae pricks."

She didn't give Keir time to consider her recklessness before she balled her fist and swung it at his nose. Hers cracked at the same moment as his, but she didn't stop there. She wanted to send a message.

Summoning swells of darkness, Seren hurtled them at the shield Keir had summoned. Shouts rang out and Seren could faintly feel Nesta trying to pull her away while Adrik attempted to come between them, but neither succeeded. Her offensive maneuvers against Keir's shield were nullified as she tried to push through the power of their bargains, but it was a waste of energy. Anger getting the best of her, she instead threw herself at the shield. Predictably, it tossed her backward and made her skin tingle painfully.