53

"I would've crossed the stars
To keep you in my life
But now I'm falling hard
Without you here tonight."

-

I was never scared of the dark, only the things that hide in it.

Darkness is strong, and it is easy to get tangled in it. It clings to the absence of light and holds you close like a promise until the rise of dawn. In the dark, we're safe with the shield of the shadows. It's when demons crawl out of hell and set their eyes on you that you have to worry, but even then, you never see them coming.

Heart thumping in my chest, I step out of the car. The leaves are falling, and the grass moves in steady waves, rotting into a dark umber brown from the changing seasons. This place is so open to the skies. It rests in the cricket's lullaby and the morning birds' melodies.

When I gaze at Harry, I realize our eyes are as bright as the fading constellations above us. "Where are we?" I ask lightly.

"I'm not sure," he responds, clicking his tongue. He looks around curiously for a moment before holding his hand out to me expectantly. Smiling, I rush over at the invitation.

"Autumn is beautiful in Germany," I note happily as I grab his hand.

He chuckles, lacing his fingers through mine. He genuinely just wanted to hold my hand, and I think that's so adorable. "You should see what it's like here in the summer," he injects weakly before falling silent.

I let him lead me down the stone sidewalk, uncaring where we go. We're lost, and it's nearly five in the morning. It was never said out loud, but for a few hours, we decided to leave our lives behind. Every responsibility, every stressor, and every regret. For now, it's just Harry and me.

Still, I can't help but stress over our interaction with his father. "I'm fine," Harry suddenly assures me. "I just don't want to talk about it."

I shake my head, not needing him to elaborate any further. I respond by holding his hand tightly and nudging him with my elbow. I'm here for him always, and I think he's starting to realize that.

When it's quiet once more, only the shuffling of our shoes being audible, I scan the small town. One thing I've noticed while in Germany is that the architecture here is a lot nicer than in New York. Some places in Germany give off a Romanesque and Gothic vibe, while others, like this town, give off more of a rich Renaissance, Baroque, and Classical vibe.

It's very colorful here, wherever we are. Soft pinks, neon greens, bright yellows, and radiant blues. It's so grey and obsolete in New York, yet everywhere I look here, something catches my eye — especially that abandoned playground with that cherry ride slide and rickety swing set.

I let go of Harry's hand and jog ahead. "W-Where are you going?"

I look over my shoulder, grinning. "To the playground. Duh."

I sit down on the safest-looking swing, and the rusted chains rustle and squeak under my weight. Harry stands beside me, with his hands casually shoved in his pockets, when a breeze washes over us, caressing my skin so softly that I shiver.

Looking up, I expected to see a dark sea of nothingness, a view I had become used to seeing in New York. However, things are a bit different here in this small countryside town in Germany.