42

"When you find an old picture of us
And you clear away the dust
I hope you miss me sometimes
When you see a frame that reminds you of me
Would you remember the times
Oh, the times that we believed."

Play when you see *

~DOUBLE UPDATE. READ CHAPTER 41 FIRST

-

Usually, my shift ends around two am, but I don't have a long shift tonight. I'll be getting out early – around 8:30, and thank God for that. My feet are aching, my back hurts, and I miss my bed.

Sigh.

It was insanely busy in the Red Room despite my short shift tonight, and I made more than a few hundred in tips alone. It's weird having all of this money now. After all, I struggled most of my life while looking for ends meet. For years I took on two or three jobs while picking up on odd-end jobs to earn extra cash on the side just to put food on the table and buy Maggie's insulin.

I'm not doing great because, damn living in New York is expensive, but I'm doing better financially. I'm still thousands of dollars in debt, no thanks to my mother, but things are getting easier. I can afford Maggie's insulin and pay my bills with my cheque, and my tips alone are good enough to pay for utilities. It makes me feel a little lighter knowing I can bring Maggie out to eat or buy her a new toy without anxiety consuming me.

While I'm wiping my makeup off with a wipe, Candy struts into the back room, and she's clad in neon pink lacey lingerie with nude Louis Vuitton heels. "Hey," she says, walking up to me. She wraps her arms loosely around my neck from behind and rests her chin on my shoulder. "I just wanted to come to say bye to you."

I can't resist my smile or my laughter. "You'll see me on Monday," I explain with a scoff. But, I'd be lying if I said her coming to say bye doesn't mean a lot to me.

Candy hums before pulling away from me. "What if we went out for coffee or something over the weekend? Also," she points to the picture of Maggie and me on my vanity. "I want to meet Maggie."

I beam. "I think she'd like you a lot, Candy."

"Oh, I know she would," she sasses with an eye roll. "Anyway, I'm gonna head back out to the floor. I have a regular coming in at nine."

"Okay," I turn around in my vanity chair and smile at her. "I'll see you later then. Please be safe."

"I will," she grins before exclaiming, "I'll text you!" as she walks out of the backroom room door.

Even when she leaves, I'm still smiling. I really appreciate her. She's always looking out for me, and well, it's a nice feeling – being cared for. Candy makes me feel like I'm someone worth caring for, and I'm eternally grateful for that.

When I'm done wiping my makeup off, I change into much comfier and baggier clothing – sweatpants and a sweatshirt made of soft and smooth cotton. While slipping my sneakers on, my phone starts ringing.

I answer the call without much thought. "Hello?"

"Hey," a low, posh voice comes from the other line.

I stop moving. "Harry?" I want to smack myself. I really should have read the caller ID.

"Yeah," he replies. "Are you still in the club?"

"Y-Yeah," I mumble, throwing my gym bag over my shoulder. "I just finished my shift. I'm leaving now."

"Come out through the back door."