Chapter 39

Xion's POV

The room had a light draft that caused the goosebumps on my skin to stay visible. It was barely lit but you could still see everyone's face and body language clearly. I could feel my damp body slightly shiver every once and a while. The towel given to dry us off was more like a flannel and did not help largely in drying both Elliott and I. I was surprised that Leilani and Syi was here, but thankful that they went to look for us. Though, I could not help but wonder who's decision it was out of the two of them... my guess was Syi.

"The whole reason for the Women's Revolution is for female equality and unity." Yera began, "As you know it has changed us as a Kingdom already and we haven't even achieved all the goals we wanted yet. Women all over Nervana, as well as some men, believe in what we are doing and are a part of the group in one way or another. We are a family, network, even call it a spider's web. Which means news travels, regardless if it's gossip or facts. However, when Tobias was killed everyone had their own story. It's a mystery. But though the WR were suggested as suspects, no names were used."

"Surely, someone would have seen whoever jumped out the window. Xion, was there a search for the woman after Bemebe described her?" Elliott asked.

"Several was ordered and Bemebe was in charge with General Roark, even Rayson. But I was told those searches led to no leads. That's why we believed the answers lied with you. I do have to ask, when was the last time you were in contact with your daughter?"

"Gianna? Why are you asking?"

"She was brought to the palace a few days ago as a suspect off Tobias' murder. To be honest, more like to bring the murderer out into the light or to get you to come out of hiding."

Yera's eyes filled with concern, her brows frowning stiffly, "I thought I was protecting her by staying away. I left her with my mother for months whilst I shifted between Evercast and other coastal cities and towns. But I thought she would've been safe. I heard about what happened with Gianna being whipped from another source but I was naive to think it would stop there. I did hear about how you defended her and punished the men, which is why I knew you weren't here with evil intention."

"I've made sure she is being looked after in the palace and treated accordingly. But a lot of eyes are on her, suspecting her or hoping to get member of WR arrested."

She sighed heavily, "This is a mess. I was already a wanted person and now so is my child and many other innocent women who just admire the cause. If no culprit is found we will be blamed blindly regardless of the truth. As for Gianna, thank you for looking over her. That's not your task but you made it your responsibility and as a mother I am more than grateful."

"Please, you don't have to thank me for doing what was right. I just wish I could do more for you. As you said you wanted her to be safe and I would want the same, if I had a daughter."

"Still, I'm thankful."

I gave a small smile, "I have got another question for you. Do you know about the Yangiza?"

The gratitude left her face and her straight expression returned, "I do."

"What do you know?"

"Not much, no one does. But I am aware that they have grown in the last 10 years. They only work underground and undercover but that's because they're made up of social outcasts. They are fuelled with rage at Nervana and will try everything and anything to disrupt peace."

"Would they be capable of murder?" Elliott asked knowingly.

"Of course." She replied with no hesitation.

"They're the ones who shot my in the stomach, right?" Elliott turned to me.

"We believe so, yes."

"You have encountered a member?" Yera raised her brow in intrigue.