34 (Arizona)

"Absolutely not" Porter fought back. David had notified my boss that this week we would participate in a team building exercise at a forest lodge where the point was to build a better bond to create better teamwork in the office. 

"It's a friend's place. He wanted us to be a part of it. I couldn't say no. You have to go. One day. Well, it's a short overnight stay, but that's only because the teamwork supper runs a bit late" David grinned at his protege who was not having any of this. 

"It's trendy now Mr.Porter. A lot of companies are doing it" I tried to help David's case.

        "What about me looks like I give a shit about trends?" he growled at me. I shrugged at David who always seemed amused to watch the two of us go back and forth. "It sounds fun," I added. "Of course to you it would seem fun. You love this kind of shit. Let my team go. I don't need to be there" he fought on. 

"A ship with no captain? No can do," David tisked. "Then you go!" He got snappy with the boss. David didn't flinch. "They aren't my team. They work for you" he reminded Porter. 

"You do this shit on purpose to torture me, don't you? There is no other explanation as to why you would ever agree to this on my behalf" Porter looked perplexed.

        "Arizona will help keep things running smoothly. Won't you honey?" David asked me. "Yes, of course Mr.Moore. I was always good at being team captain" I nodded along. "I knew you would be. Matt, you have your girl to help you survive" David chuckled. 

I knew he didn't mean 'your girl' in that context, but it still made my heart flutter.

"I hate you both" Porter scowled before standing up and leaving David's office. David winked at me before I left, which made me have to bite my cheek to hold back my laughter. 

"You always side with him because you know I can't do anything about it, but I will torture you in other ways. Don't you worry" Porter threatened me on the way down the elevator. "I have to agree. He's the bigger boss" I called him out. "Mhm. You'll see" he grumbled before stomping off.

"ARIZONA, inform the team" he shouted before closing his office door entirely. I cleared my throat to get everyone's attention.

        "Hello, hope everyone is doing great today. I have a small announcement. This coming Friday we are going to Forest Lodge for the night in a team building event that's been set up by David Moore and a close friend who runs the program. There will be all kinds of games and trust exercises to get us out of the office and feeling more creative to build the bonds of our team. It's an overnight thing, but please let me know if that's impossible for anyone. You'll need a damn good excuse though, because Mr.Moore is serious about this. Mr.Porter will be joining us in this event so, 'game faces people. It's a chance to impress the boss." 

I gave a thumbs up to everyone after my enthusiastic speech.

They found it hilarious that Porter would be there and didn't comment on anything else I said. "Look in your inbox for the email I'm about to send with all the itinerary details. Go team!" I cheered before walking back to my desk. I was made for this shit. 

There would be a reserved peter pan bus to drive us the two hour long trip to the lodge where we'd arrive mid morning and start the itinerary preplanned by the program themselves.

        We have lodges for the night, but we'd have to bunk up with one other coworker if possible. We were only given a number of rooms unless that's something we can change upon arrival. I'd been told about this yesterday, and have been communicating with the seminar leader ever since.