Chapter 2

The son of Smaug had finally been born into Clan Wyvern, born with a beak/dragon mouth and horns like his father, but born a gargoyle. The leader, Goliath had accepted this hatchling as one of them, the red hatchling being able to grow up with the others.

Two gargoyles, a small olive one and an aqua blue one had accepted the firedrake offspring as a close brother, having them become the Trio. Red Hatchling smiled at being able to have friends, though sometimes others had teased him, saying he looked like a bloodthirsty dragon than a gargoyle. Red Hatchling had become a full teen gargoyle around that time.

He walked up to the former leader, a brown gargoyle with a white beard. "Elder, why do the clan keep calling me a dragon? I'm a gargoyle, aren't I?" Red One asked in disdain, looking down, feeling like an outcast. The Elder smiled gently, a hand on Red Hatchling's shoulder.

"Ye are a member of our family, small one, don't ever forget there are those within that love yeh," he rumbled gently. Red Hatchling smiled after that, nodding.

....

On 994 AD, Red Hatchling had grown up big, and his bond with his close rookery brothers and the gar dog were stronger than ever. There were visitors who were traveling that had received shelter, though they were a bit put off of the gargoyles at first.

One small boy named Tom took interest in the Trio, smiling as he liked how the red beaked male looked, watching them play with a piece of ham. He saw the red gargoyle jump onto a crate, the gar dog grabbing the meat and walking off with it. Red noticed the boy coming over.

"I'm Tom, what's your name?" The trio looked at each other. "Except for Goliath we have no names," Olive said. The boy was confused. "But how can you tell each other apart?"

"Well, we look different."

Tom still had questions. "What do you call each other?" Red gave a little smile. "Friend," he replied. Tom looked at the red gargoyle in fascination and confusion. He did look like a gargoyle but something about his voice, it didn't seem like one, it was too smooth, growly. His mom yanked him away. "Tom, get away from them!"

Red walked forward to them, face pleading. "We wouldn't hurt the kid, ma'am," he insisted, but the mother didn't buy it. "Get away from him, ya beast!" She yelled, throwing a stick. It hurt Red in the face, suddenly feeling a boiling fiery sensation in his belly, a soft dragon growl in his throat. Goliath's mate leapt in, hissing. She pointed. "You're the beast, you...!" Red grabbed her hand, his eyes glowing but not in the usual white, startling the female. "No. If she thinks of us that way... perhaps this 'beast' should return the favor!"

Red hissed in a non gargoyle manner, baring his teeth at them, making the humans crawl back. The other two didn't know what to do but had their own eyes glow, to ensure the mother paid for hurting their brother and just give them a scare. Their red brother took things too far when he grabbed a man who cried in fear.

Olive and Blue halted their scare game, seeing this. "Bro, stop it! Put him down!" Red had shaken his head then, eyes returning to normal, as Goliath and their elder landed, seeing the young beaked male holding up a human. Red's face fell, dropping the man who scurried back. His heart flooded with guilt.

"G-Goliath... I... we..." he stammered. Goliath narrowed his eyes. "No excuses. You three down into the Rookery until I return. And take him with you," Goliath snapped, pointing at their dog who whined sorrowfully. Red flushed in shame, going with his brothers. Blue had a gentle hand on his brother's shoulder.

He turned back to Goliath. "Please, I wasn't sure what happened to me back there with me. We didn't mean any harm." No supportive answer. Face falling more, Red ventured into the Rookery with the others. The young male had no idea what had come over him. He could hear his leaders arguing, making Red flinch. Blue looked at him sadly. "C'mon," he murmured, pushing Red gently in.

They made their way to where the eggs were. Red never felt more humiliated as he sat down, hugging his knees. "Ugh, sent to the Rookery, how embarrassing..." he commented, heart feeling hurt from before. Olive though had a question. "But bro, what was going on? You were acting stranger than normal." Red cringed from that, using his wings to cover himself. Blue shook his head at the smaller gargoyle. "Don't say strange at him. The others still don't treat him fairly like we do, so he's... well... a bit sensitive." He had whispered the last part. Olive sighed, hoping his red brother would be able to accept himself one of these days.

After a time the Trio and the gar beast had come out of the Rookery only to be met with a horrible sight; the castle was demolished and the entire clan was smashed except for their elder and Goliath. Red felt the most anguished because he hadn't been able to try and win over those who bullied him and now it was too late for it. Tears fell and he could once more feel his dragon side that he didn't know about come up again, flames boiling in his stomach.

They will pay... he vowed, seething all over as he followed what was left of his clan to track down the Vikings and the kidnapped Princess. He however had received an unexpected surprise and betrayal from the Magus, who transformed them all to stone at night. Goliath later requested that he'd turn to stone with them. They wouldn't awaken again until the castle rose above the clouds. Which is what David Xanatos did in 1994 and so the clan now lived in modern Manhattan, protecting the city, and the Son of Smaug names himself Brooklyn that night.