Chapter 6

Miyagi, 2012

I had friends-- I think I do. Maybe I'd have more if I didn't spend all my time underwater. I've tried pretty much everything.

I know what some people think. Famous star athlete Yori who's been on sports magazines doesn't have any friends? Unbelievable. Yeah, it's pretty unbelievable to me too. I've been on those magazines more than I've made friends.

So here I am, sitting at the very bottom of the pool, choosing to ignore the water burning my eyes. I think my life's been pretty good so far. Maybe I don't need any more friends. That's what Kunimi and Kindaichi are for, we're not exactly BEST FRIENDS, but we're friends and thats better than nothing. Occasionally, the Aoba Johsai seniors would hang out with me too, but it was mostly just them teasing Oikawa.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed hanging out with them. It's just that we don't really have a lot in common, I just don't like smelling testosterone all day, ya get me?

I finally decided to come up for air, tightening my ponytail once i reached the surface.

"2 minutes and 14 seconds, you're so cool, Hinode-san!" I jumped as I heard a high pitched voice behind me.

"Hitoka-san! You scared me!" I burst out laughing as I turned around and flicked a bit of water to her direction.

"Oh! Sorry, Hinode-san! I didn't mean it!" she bows while apologizing, cheeks incredibly red and her arms waving around in the air messily.

"Yamaguchi and I would like to know if you wanna grab a snack after you finish practice, coach gave us a break!" she explains, scratching the back of her head.

Is this it? Am I finally making friends of the same gender? Did the water somehow hear and granted my request out of pity?

I had a competition in two days but, a little break wouldn't hurt, right?

The swim team was small. Especially the girls. There were about six members and that was it. None of the girls ever really talked though, everyone just had lives of their own, maybe that's also the reason they don't really come to practice.

The men's team was the opposite tho, they were crowded. Which is why I practice with them sometimes. They stare at me, but no one is really kind enough to approach me. Maybe it's because I always beat them.

"Of course. I'll take a quick shower first though." I smiled, trying to hide my excitement as she lets out a sigh of relief.

Never would I have ever expected Hitoka Yachi to be one of my very first friends, but I'm happy it was her. I knew she was shy, especially compared to the others in our class, whish is why I'm surprised she had the courage to approach me. No one really dared to, but I wanted them to atleast try to so fucking bad.

Hitoka Yachi came into my life at the exact time I needed her to.

...

"You reek of chlorine." Tsukishima looks straight ahead as we walked behind our seniors. Yamaguchi and Yachi seemed to be getting into a pretty interesting conversation considering they were walking apart from the rest of us.

I never would have come with them If I had known Tsukishima--or the whole team would be here.

I felt a tall figure come closer to me from behind, hearing them inhale close to my ear.

"No, she doesn't. What are you talking about?" I heard Kageyama's voice speak to Tsukishima.

"Yeah, she smells like fruit!" the short one, Hinata confirmed. That's the first time I've heard them agree on something.