Sleep Deprivation (Request)

Thanks to @kokichisimp21 for the request!!! <33

—-

"..Anddd that's checkmate. Komugi wins again."

Komugi's opponent growled as he slammed his pieces onto the board, clearly upset.

"This is outrageous! She has to be cheating somehow!" He yelled.

Meruem, the one sitting nearby AND playing spectator, ignored the comment and yawned.

"A game's a game. No fun in being a sore loser."

The opponent stomped his way over to the door and slammed it behind him. He wasn't the first to do it that week. Komugi kept being challenged by multiple ants for a spot in the palace; one after the other, they would play Gungi. Meruem counted 67 victories in that week alone.

As Komugi fixed the pieces on the board, Meruem noticed something strange about her face. She looked very pale and droopy. Not at all like the energetic Komugi he knows.

"Komugi?"

"Hmm?" Komugi raised her head.

"When was the last time you slept?"

Komugi stopped to think. "Umm.. a week? I can't remember."

"Aren't humans supposed to sleep at least eight hours everyday?" Meruem crossed his arms.

"I'm fine! I've gone for days without sleep before! Besides, what if someone else asks to play? I can't let them down!"

Meruem sighed; Komugi was being as stubborn as always. He protested about the matches before, but Komugi kept insisting.

He got up from his seat and began to help put away everything back in the board.

"I can take of this." Meruem began saying. "Go to your room and get some rest."

"But-"

"Now, Komugi. Trust me, it'll do you some good. You can continue playing when you've rested."

————

As Komugi was made her way through the hallway, she noticed how much she was struggling to use her cane. Her hands and legs were shaky. On top of that, she felt really weak.

She found the closest wall and sat against it. Her room was so close, yet so far. She didn't have the energy to go on.

She knew she was in the east wing, which was the most empty part of the palace. No one, aside from her, really came there.

"Maybe I can just take a nap here.. I'm sure no one will notice." She thought to herself.

She laid down and closed her eyes. It didn't take long before she was fast asleep (30 seconds to be exact).

One minute turned to thirty minutes; Komugi remained unbothered by anyone.

As she laid there, the footsteps of someone echoed throughout the hallway.

Meruem wanted to check on Komugi as soon as possible. He wanted to make sure she was resting; knowing her, she was probably going over her Gungi skills.

He stopped in his tracks when he saw the young girl laying on the middle of the floor.

"Komugi? Komugi! Are you alright? Are you injured?" He frantically ran to her and tried waking her up. A wave of relief came over him when he saw her move.

He looked around to see if anyone was around to help, but the hallways were empty. He turned back to the girl.

"Komugi?" He said quietly.

Komugi, still half asleep, put her hand on Meruem's face as if she was trying to make him shut up.

Meruem chuckled a little as he scooped her into his arms. "Alright, alright. Let's get you to your room."

It didn't take long before they reached Komugi's door. The king tried his best to move as little as possible. He gently placed her on the bed when he reached it. He was about to leave the room when he realized there was a tiny issue: Komugi had already woken up.

"Meruem?" She said quietly.

The startled king cleared his throat before speaking.

"You've awaken! I found you lying on the hallway; you mustn't do that."

Komugi chuckled nervously. "Ha, yeah. Sorry. I must've been too exhausted to reach my room."

"I see. All the more reason for you to get rest." He turned to the door. "I'll see you when you wake."

"Wait!"

Meruem looked at Komugi as she scooched to her left and patted on the empty side of the bed.

"Come join me!"

Meruem looked a little skeptical; he had a busy schedule. But then again, it could wait until tomorrow.

"Alright, but only if you fall asleep. Deal?" He said, smiling.

"Deal!"

He carefully settled into the bed with her, putting a blanket over them.

Komugi smiled and snuggled up against him. He had to admit that his heart fluttered a bit when he saw how comfortable Komugi looked. He put his arm around her and closed his eyes.

—————