Fireworks

It was very late at night; after midnight to be exact. The palace was extremely quiet and dark. Moonlight took over everything.

It was perfect for a certain couple to sneak out.

Meruem took Komugi by her hand as he led her to a nearby meadow. Komugi, being completely in the dark (literally), was curious to know where Meruem wanted to take her.

"Are we almost there?"

Meruem looked around at their surroundings, making sure he's taking the right route.

He then turned to Komugi to answer her question.
"We're nearly there, just bear with me for a while."

They continued walking until they walked on what felt like a hill. They made a stop when they reached a cliff. Meruem opened the basket he brought along with them and took out his blanket. He placed it over the ground and sat. He led the girl over and helped her sit down.

Komugi took a moment to take everything in. Something felt different about this place. The wind was cool and fresh, plus the smell and sound of what might be the sea was marvelous. It finally hit Komugi where they were.

"Are we.. ARE WE NEAR THE BEACHSIDE?" She said excitingly.

Meruem was delighted with her reaction.
"Yes, we are. Have you been here before?"

Komugi nodded. "I love the beach! Something about it is so calming."

"Really?"

"Yep!"

Komugi began gushing all about the beach when she was interrupted by a big "BOOM."

Her talking came to a halt as her eyes opened. She looked ahead in awe. Confused, Meruem looked too.

Another "BOOM" came, this time with a much bigger light. Komugi seemed to be admiring it.

"Ah, do you happen to recognize these strange explosions, Komugi?"

Komugi gasped. "You've never seen or heard of fireworks before???"

"I'm afraid not. I've seen them before, but I'm not sure what they are exactly."

"The modern - folk tend to use these during festivals. They're like BIGG lights!" Komugi explained.

"I see," Meruem started. "Didn't you mention before that you were from a village?"

Komugi nodded. "I was nine when I experienced my first set of fireworks. I got into a nasty fight with my mom and ran from home. I ended up getting lost and didn't know my way back. That was when I heard them. It was such a strange noise, I had to check it out. For the first time in my life, I could actually witness something beautiful. I asked a relative of mine about it and she told me they were called fireworks. Sure, I'm not able to see the fireworks; but even small glimpses of the lights are magical to me."

Komugi kept looking ahead at the fireworks happily.

"From then on, I did my best to attend all the firework shows held around here. I guess it must've slipped my mind that there was a festival today."

Meruem was surprised to see Komugi so passionate about something that wasn't Gungi. He definitely made the right choice bringing her there.

"I suppose we should come here more often?"

"Yes please!" Komugi said enthusiastically.

"Consider it done, then."

As the fireworks continued, Komugi laid her head on Meruem's shoulder and Meruem put his arm around Komugi.

"Hey, Meruem?"

"Yes?"

"I love you."

"And I love you, Komugi."

This would be the start of multiple sneaking-out missions to watch fireworks together.

————-

Pics of some fireworks I saw at the beach ✨

I'll be posting more stories over the next two days, so look forward to that! Until then!! <333

————