1943

Steve and Bea made their way to a movie theater and the latter asked, "Bucky and Phillip are coming, right? You did tell them?"

Steve nodded. "Yes, I told them. They're on their way."

"Good. I don't want to miss the last chance to see Phillip before I fly off and before he ships out."

They watched as a commercial about the war before the movie. Bea let out a sigh as she watched, hoping her friend and boyfriend would arrive soon.

The commercial announcer said, "War continues to ravage Europe. But help is on the way. Every able-bodied young man is lining up to serve his country. Even little Timmy is doing his part collecting scrap metal. Nice work, Timmy!"

"Who cares?" a loud, jerky guy said. "Play the movie already!"

Steve replied quietly, "Hey, you wanna show some respect?"

"Meanwhile, overseas, our brave boys are showing the Axis powers that the price freedom is never too high."

"Let's got! Get on with it! Hey, just start the cartoon!" the loud jerk cried.

"Hey buddy, you wanna shut up?!" Steve returned.

"Respect our boys overseas," Bea added.

The guy got up and looked at them.

"Together with Allied forces, we'll face any threat, no matter the size."

The three were soon in an alley. Steve pushed Bea behind him and tried punching the guy, but kept getting knocked down. Bea winced as she watched her friend getting pummeled.

Bea went to hit the guy who said, "This isn't your fight, princess."

Her brow furrowed as she said, "Not your princess. And as soon as you wen after him, you went after me."

Steve picked up the top to a trashcan and the guy said, "You two just don't know when to give up, do you?"

"I could do this all day," Steve challenged, balling his fists.

Bea picked up a stick and said, "Go back home, leave us alone!"

The guy knocked the stick from her hand and hit her, causing her to stumble into the wall.

"Hey! I'm a soldier, you ass!"

"Don't care, princess."

Two young brunet men in uniform walked up to the fight and the older of the two said, "Hey! Pick on someone your own size! Never hit a lady!" He punched the attacker, then kicked the man as he ran away.

Bucky looked back at Steve. "Sometimes I think you like getting punched. Did you bring Bea into this or did she choose to fight?"

"I had him on the ropes," Steve replied. "You know the answer to that." He looked at her bleeding nose. "That should heal soon enough."

Bea grinned. "A battle scar I'm proud to wear."

Bucky picked up Steve's enlistment form from the ground. "How many times is this?" He read from the enlistment form. "Oh, you're from Paramus now? You know it's illegal to lie on the enlistment form. And seriously, Jersey?"

Steve ignored Bucky's words and asked, "You and Phillip get your orders?"

"The 107th. Sergeant James Barnes and Lieutenant Phillip George Barnes. Shipping out for England first thing tomorrow. "

"I should be going. Come on, Bea."

"Come on, man," Phillip said. "Buck's and my last night! Gotta get you cleaned up."

"Why? Where are we going?" Steve wondered.

"The future," Bucky replied as he handed Steve a newspaper. Steve opened the paper to see an ad for World Exposition Of Tomorrow, 1943.

Bea looked at the newspaper and smiled. "Oh goody!"

Phillip turned to Bea with a smile. "I''ll pick you up at seven, all right?"

She nodded. "I'll be ready."

---

Bea slipped on a dress and put on light makeup. She touched her still sore nose gently and winced, letting out a sigh.

She heard a knock and opened it to reveal Phillip who was holding a bouquet of tulips.

Phillip smiled as he looked at Bea. "God, you're stunning, doll."

A light smile crossed her lips as she replied, "Thank you."

"Shall we? Bucky and Steve are waiting for us. My brother secured them dates, so this should be interesting."

He offered an arm to Bea who immediately accepted.