Versus the Outbreak - Part 1

(Dakotas POV)

"What do you mean you're not coming?" I heard Ryan ask his brother over the phone. "Dude Grey's still out there." Apparently there was a guy on the basketball team that broke his leg and was out for the season, and the team was holding a tryout to find a replacement. And Mark ditched us trying to find Grey for the tryout. Ryan, was obviously not happy about it. So Spyder, Harris, Ryan and I were chilling at the robot, Harris was working on the data core, and Mark went to tryouts before school. Eventually Mark hung up.

"He's not coming is he?" I asked. 

"No. And I need him to focus on Grey not some stupid tryout." He answers my question.

"But it's not stupid to him." Harris says taking a break from his work. "Your the technopath, I'm the brain, and Spyders is...."

"Awesome, weirdly flexible, can hear dog whistles?" Spyder finished.

"And Marks a jock." Harris moved on.

"I'm here to?" I added.

"I didn't really know what to say for you either." Harris addmits.

"I guess you're technically a jock." Spyder said, thinking out loud.

"Jock and Olympic Athlete are two very different things," I respond.

"Okay anyway, don't you think it's been hard for him being at a new school and not being 'Mark Walker'?" Harris asked.

"I guess." Ryan shrugs.

"Varsity is a part of his identity." Harris continues. "Just like the information on this data core, is apart of yours."

"How is the data core going anyway?" Ryan asks, probably trying to change the subject.

"Don't you think if he got the info he'd be gloating by now." Spyder asked.

"I don't gloat." Harris denied.

"Dang son." Spyder said.

"Science!" Ryan continues.

"Check it y'all!" I said in my best Harris voice.

"Okay... I gloat a little." Harris admits. "But not today. Harper encrypted this in a way I can't work around." 

"And that I can't crack with my powers." Ryan adds.

"So I need better decryption software." Harris says. "And I can get it, all I need is a little more time."

"And I'll use that time to help Mark with the tryout." Ryan walked over to the 3D printer. "Anybody know if this thing can 3D print sneakers?"

—————

After we all headed to school, Spyder and Ryan went to go watch Marks tryout, I didn't care enough to go, also I knew he was going to make the team, so I went to a study hall instead. I went to my locker before lunch, Ryan met me there, as always..

"Hey." He said standing next to me.

"Hey how'd the tryout go? Mark make the team?" I asked.

"What do you think?" He asked in return.

"Yeah I already know he made the team." I said as we walked off to lunch, a slight tone of sadness in my voice.

"Hey, what's up?" He asked, clearly noticing my tone of voice.

"Nothing, I just- okay it's not really nothing." I began. "It was just Harris comment about varsity and being a jock was a part of Marks identity. It got me thinking about my 'identity', I guess. Not gonna lie, I kinda miss competing." He didn't say anything, because I think it's a conversation neither of us ever wanted to bring up. We walked in silence until we reached the staircase, leading to the cafeteria.