02. Just why?

Lian sat on the back seat, while his aide, Foei drove his car. It was raining hard that night in Bangkok.

Lian urged Foei to add the speed so he can reach Kuea faster but things didnt always go his way.

The rain was so heavy, its causing a really bad traffic. It was so bad that Lian's car got stuck, not moving even an inch for an hour. It was so late at night, and been hours since Kuea left.

Lian really wanted to just run to Kuea's place now. And, thats how the idea came up. Lian got out of his car at once and starts running madly, even the rain cant stop him.

Foei was worried, he ended up leaving their car on the road and try to catch up to Lian while calling Lian 'Boss', screaming.

And Lian finally stopped, he said to Foei to stay in their car and just go back home while Lian would go to Kuea's place alone. Like hell Foei want to go home now. So he just get back to the car and wait until the is traffic over. And he'll go to Kuea's place then, to accompany his heartbroken boss.

**

It took over an hour for Lian to reach Kuea's dragon lair —Kuea's secret house. Lian always know the existance of this house from the very beginning. Only because Kuea never talk about this with him that he chose to turn a blind eye. He bet that Kuea didnt know that he knew about it all along.

He stood in front of the gate he's familiar with. He stared at it for a while before he pushed it open, making way in for himself. The rain has yet to stop and midnight has passed since a while ago. Lian walked slowly to the door and starts to knock it while calling Kuea's name.

"Nu Kuea, open the door please? Its Hia." He said, no one answered. The house is dead silent. He recalled the time when he brought the drunk Kuea home and quickly insert a set of numbers. Not too long after, a sound was produced from the door and its no longer locked.

Lian grabs the handle and quickly come in. He looked around the house. Nothing changed since the last time he was here. But he didnt find Kuea. His sight fell on to the stairs to the 2nd floor. He walked up the stairs and there, he saw a door to Kuea's room.

He hesitate a bit but decide to open it anyway. He smiles weakly when he saw the sleeping Kuea on the bed. Lian walks slowly to Kuea's side. He bends his back as he watch Kuea's sleeping face. He could see traces of tears that have dried on his cheeks. It aches him, to see his Kuea in that state. He never want to hurt his beloved Kuea, really.

But he didnt know what makes his Kuea like this? Did his proposal hurt him this much? Why did Kuea said he didnt love him? He streched his hand onto Kuea's head and softly caressing his hair, afraid he might waking him up. The more he do it, the more intense the pain he feel in his chest. It feels stuffy.

Lian does that for sometimes when he realize how wet his attire was. Its dripping water although not much. So he left Kuea's room afraid it would wet his bed and makes his Kuea sick –which he didnt want to.

He quickly makes way out of the house. He sat in front of the house while his eyes glued to the direction of Kuea's room. There's an inexplainable pain in his chest. Its like everytime his heart beats, he feels someone punching right onto his chest. But what can he do to ease this? He have no idea.

Lian sat there for hours, until the rain completely stopped. His wet attire is no longer as wet at this point. And the gate that was closed suddenly moved. Lian turned his sight and notice Foei, his aide comes in.

"Boss!" Foei said as he walk –or more like running- to Lian's side.

"The traffic was so bad, so it took so much longer to reach this place. Sorry, Boss!" With an apologetic face he has, Foei try to explain to Lian. But there's not much expression on his Boss's face.

"Lower your voice, Kuea is sleeping now." Lian said, which Foei answered with a nod of his head and a zip-his-mouth gesture.

"Why are you here? Didnt i told you to go home already?" Lian asked. Foei could only looking at his Boss with a silly face which earn him a sigh from Lian.

"What time is it now?" Lian asked.

"Its 3.15 a.m. now, Boss." Foei said. Lian took a final glance at Kuea's room before he stood up, leaving the place with Foei then.

Foei was driving Lian home when suddenly Lian said something with his expresionless and pale face.

"I'll give a bonus to your salary this month, take it as your overtime payment."

"Okay, Boss! Thanks, Boss!"

****

The next morning, Kuea felt terrible when he woke up. He was crying so badly last night that his eyes is swollen now.  Good, i have a class this morning and my eyes are this puffy —he thought. But then his mind wanders to the things happened last night. It frustrates him.

Kuea roughly rubs his face and heaves a sigh. He reaches his hand to his phone on the side table and notice a lot of misscalls from Diao, his mom, and also his Hia. Well, not anymore —he thought. After so much consideration he came to a conclusion that their engagement is a no go. He didnt want to spend his life with someone who dont truly love him.

Kuea swiftly put Lian's contact to the block list before throwing his phone onto his bed and leave to his bathroom. He should take a shower fast as he need to attend a class, like nothing happened.

————