10. This is for the best.

"I know this might disappoints you and i'm really sorry for that. But Kuea and I have agreed to call off our engagement." Lian said.

The room went into silent after the words got out of Lian's mouth. Kuea's parents looked at Lian in disbelief before shifting their gaze onto their loved son, Kuea.

They were clueless and full of question as he looks at him.

The tea cup that initially in her hand was now back on the table. Kuea's mom looked at his husband before asking a question.

"Why do you want to call off the engagement so suddenly, Ai'Lian?"

Lian clutches his hands before he opened his mouth. His mind was busy arranging series of reasons as to why calling off their engagement was necessary.

He looked at the lady and his husband's eyes.

"We arent compatible with each other, Aunt, Uncle. We've been going on lots of date without progress."

There's a pause in his sentence. Getting the words out of his mouth was so unexpectedly hard.

Perhaps, deep down, Lian was still unwilling.

"Also, i'm getting busy with work, i'm afraid i'm not the perfect person who could take care of Kuea. I'm really sorry, i could not meet your expectation." As Lian finished his sentences, there's a sense of helplessness on Kuea's parents' face.

"Is it true, Son?" Asked the lady to Kuea. Kuea was startled when his mom suddenly asked him.

"It.. it is, Mom." Kuea felt fidgety while sitting on the couch. He tried his best not to look at his own mom's eyes directly. As to why he did that, he have no idea.

"You were so stubborn back then to come back to Thailand. You said you want to be with Ai'Lian. And its like this now." She said, everybody could tell that she was upset.

Her husband holds her before caressing her arm, trying to calm her down. She heaves a heavy sigh.

"Alas, we as parents cant do anything. Its your own life, you can make your own choices and all we could do is to provide our support."

She looks at his husband and smiles before turn to look at Lian again.

"If you want to call off your engagement then its okay. Dont be sorry. You're an excellent man, Ai'Lian. Its too bad i wont have such an outstanding in law."

The atmosphere in the room slowly back to how it was originally after that. The two family chatted with each other again, as if nothing happened.

An hour after that, Lian and his parents concludes their visit and bid their farewell, the host's warm smiles accompanied them as they made way to their car. With a smooth machine sound, the car slowly leaving the mansion.

While the rest of the problem was kept on their own mind.

***

"I know this might disappoints you and i'm really sorry for that. But Kuea and I have agreed to call off our engagement."

Kuea's head was full on repeating Lian's sentence.

Lian and his parents left the mansion not too long ago. Here he was, sitting across his parents while their eyes were on him.

Kuea was dazed and at the same time intimidated by his parents' gaze.

"What exactly happened between the two of you? Why did Lian suddenly wants the engagement to be called off, Kuea?" It was his mom asking. Kuea frowned, looking back at his mother.

"Its exactly like what Lian have said earlier. I'm tired, Mom. I'm going to my room now. Goodnight, Dad, Mom." He said. He dashed towards his room on the second floor. Leaving his parents who was puzzled.

As soon as he arrived, he throw himself onto the bed. For some reason he felt his head so heavy. Kuea closed his eyes. Lian's words was still repeating itself in his mind. As if reminding him that they were over. For real.

Kuea felt so surreal. He didnt know this would turns out like how it is now. Honestly speaking, he skipped a beat when he heard Lian saying that earlier. And a wave of guilt surge in his heart that he almost choked.

Isnt it what he always wanted? Of course it is.

He dont want to be entangled to a person who didnt love him, after all.

He pulled a pillow before burying his face on it.

This is the best result. I shouldn't care too much about it. Now, we will live our own respective life -he thought.

Lian on the other hand, looked a little pale when he stepped out of their car. He just got home with his parents.

He finally did it. He really did. He was no longer Kuea's fiancè and when he think about it, he still felt a little lost.

"Son? Lian?" It was Lian's mom gentle voice. Lian finally woke up from his trance. He looked back to his worried mom.

"Yes, Ma?" He tried as best as he could to smile, although he still felt bitter inside.

Lian saw his mom smiling back at him before reaching her hands onto his head.

"Have a good rest, my Son. Remember, no matter what your decision is, we, as parents will always got your back."

She pulled her hand back before continued to walk inside their house. Lian saw his parents' back. There's a tear on the edge of his eyes. He raised his face and looked up at the currently dark sky.

This is for the best. Love is all about sacrifice. My happiness was you. But if your happiness wasnt me, the best i could do is just to step back. — he thought.

The night winds passed by his body made Lian shivers. The wind felt cold but it makes him smiles.

As if letting go the things that have been in his head for a long time. For the first time, Lian sincerely smiles.

In his mind was an image of smiling Kuea. One view that he once always admire.

I hope you'll always be happy, Nu-Kuea- he thought.

The steps he took felt so much lighter as he heads into his parents' house.

From now, lets start our respective new life.

***

Writer's note :

Hello guys. I apologize for the wait 😭. It took me more time to finish this chapter as i have lots of things going on. I cant seem to focus while writing it because of that. I'll do better next time, also thank you for those who still wait and want to read my writings. I really appreciate it 💙🧡