Surprises

Ronin was never all that fond of his birthday. Or at the very least, he didn't care for celebrating it. As a matter of fact, he didn't actually celebrate it until he met Database and Venus.

However, regardless of those 2, the days leading up to his birthday always gave him some kind of anxiety, and a little bit of depression because it was near his birthday that he lost somebody very important to him. So he always felt a sense of guilt, celebrating it. Database and Venus always meant well, and Ronin knew that, but he guilt always lingered. Not that those 2 ever did anything too crazy...when Ronin's birthday came around after the first time they met, they threw a small party that he helped plan just to get the feel for it. After that, they mostly just got him presents and cake and made sure to tell him 'happy birthday'. So that's what he was expecting this time.

"So what are you getting Ronin for his birthday?" Database asked Venus. They were at Venus and Avian's house, sitting on the couch, while Avian himself and Moodswing were at the table playing cards.

"Uh...I'm not sure. But, I wanted to actually do something for him this year,"

"Like what?" Avian said from the table, not looking up from the fast-moving card game of Speed they were playing. "Speed!" Avian said, putting his hands up.

"Oh my god," Moodswing said in return, throwing the cards in her hand down.

"What're you 2 playing??" Database questioned, not getting up from the couch, but repositioning himself to try and see the cards.

"Speed. One of the kids taught me," Avian said, gathering and shuffling the cards. Database sighed and Venus just continued talking.

"Anyway..uhm, we've never given him any kind of surprise party, y'know? The only party we've given him he helped plan."

"So what're you implying??" Databade questioned.

"I wanna throw him something for real. Mostly because of what I said, and he always seems..a little off around his birthday." Database nodded, acknowledging that he noticed it as well.

"Alright, I'm down. It won't be too hard keeping it from him," Database looked over at the 2 at the table again. "Do you 2 wanna help?"

"Yeah, sure," Avian said, slightly distracted. "Speed again," He interrupted himself. "But yes I do wanna help." He continued, actually looking at his significant other and Database.

"Alright then, Moodswing?" She sighed but nodded.

"Sure, I'll help. Are we letting Kowalski in on it? I'm sure he'd love to help.." Her voice had a slightly sarcastic tone to it.

"Ehh.." Venus thought for a moment, stretching as they stood. "We'll tell him last minute-"

There was suddenly a knock on the door.

"That must be Ronin," Venus said, walking over to open the door, and nonsurprisingly, it was Ronin. Venus stepped aside to let him walk in while greeting him. "Hello Tazu,"

"Hey. Sorry I didn't come sooner, I was- A little occupied, with my...apprentice? I guess that's what he's called. You all remember Davis don't you?" He explained as he went and sat on the couch as well.

"Oh, yeah, how's he doing by the way?" Database asked as Venus came and sat back down.

"Good, good, I'm teaching him all the stuff that we don't really teach at Monarch. All the weird tips that you don't really think of, you know?" Database nodded.

"Speed!" Avian said once more.

"Okay you gotta be cheating, this is ridiculous," Moodswing said immediately. "You've won every round!"