4

They'd hear songs of a faceless bard inside the woods at day. By night, rumor has it he'd visit a fair lady, and she'd disappear by sunrise. This has been going on for a couple of months. And the village was running out of maidens; decreasing the population drastically. Lest we be extinct, I was commissioned to find the whereabouts of the missing maidens and discover the true identity of this faceless bard. So we could behead him, of course. Either it was because I was the witch or the only maiden left. Which is both insulting.
     Still, I wanted to meet this bard. To find out if his voice was really as handsome as the face he'd only reveal to a missing-maiden-to-be. What if I swoon?! I cannot let him win me over. It's likely to be the reason why the other maidens disappeared.

     Ugh, I just want to sleep tonight. But I have to "stay up" just to let this bard court me.

     Later that night.
     I heard something. A voice? A singing voice... Of a man.
     Damn, this really is handsome. What the-
     "I've been looking everywhere for you." His words echoed soft.
     I rose up. "What the hell are you talking about?"
     And then I saw his face. It was ink-blank empty. Yet, I began to see he was smiling.
     "Can you come to hold me?" he said, with a pang of sadness. "I can't see anything. And I need you to uplift my curse."
     My heart was tempted. But I slapped it. "What do you mean 'curse'?"
     "There's no time to explain. Come quickly, before sunrise. For this is the last night; I might disappear. And I might never feel love, or even give it to my lost beloved. I've been searching anywhere I could. Hoping to finally see you again."
     I scowled. "Well, which is it? To lift your curse or to love "me," your supposed lover?"
     The bard suddenly scowled. "Wait a damn minute. Were you that witch who cursed me?"
     "Um." I fled.