7

"Once upon a time, there was a tree. And then it died. The End."
     Bard laughed in my arms. "What kind of short story is that?"
     "A shitty one." I said, "what did you expect from me?"
     "Why do they all die in the end???"
     I laughed. "I don't know, my dear. Must be something's inherently wrong with me."
     He smiled, all smug.
     I glared at his stupid face, "what's with that expression, Bard?"
     "Nothing, Sofie." he mushed my cheeks.
     In retaliation, I mushed his cheeks.

     Sofie and the Bard lay under the shadow of this tree. On a grassy hill of a sunlit meadow, in front of a distant kingdom. This is ought to be the true beginning of their story.
     Sofie picked her ears. She thought, did I just hear someone-
     "Stop narrating in real time!" she yelled at the sky. "Bard, did you just hear this nosy- they're doing it again! Echoing my words! Oh shit, this is trippy..."
     I suppose I should curse her into not hearing me.
     "Oh," Sofie relaxed. "They stopped."
     "What were you even talking about?" The Bard asked her.
     "I don't know myself. Maybe I was hallucinating sounds." She added, "Who knows how long we've been out on this meadow. I'm hungry. I don't even know how we got here."
     Bard furrowed his brows. "Last time I remember, I think we were holding each other. Besides right now."
     "Does that mean the curse is broken?" Sofie leaned against the tree, looking up. "Or did we pull ourselves into something even more complicated?"
     Fuck, she's right. This was supposed to be a comedic collection of short stories I randomly thought of, and half-assedly made. At the top of my head without looking back, just to write myself out of a "writer's block" but here I am again opening another Pandora's Box. Always beginning, elaborating to the point of ornamentation, then ending it tragically. If I even get passed the halfway point at all.
     Nonetheless, I'll carry on foretelling the journey of Sofie and the Bard. Maybe. Thank you for reading this Shitty Short Story. [Sends hug.]