Chapter 8: The Last in Line

"We're a ship without a storm

   "We're a ship without a storm. The cold without the warm, yeah...
We're a laugh without a tear. The hope without the fear. We are coming... home!
We're off to the witch. We may never never never come home but the magic that we'll feel is worth a lifetime... We'll know for the first time if we're evil or divine. We're the last in line, yeah we're the last in line..."

We gathered our supplies and regrouped to make the products of our haul. Spears, trash can lid shield, and liquor bottled fire starters. We were going to save Hawkins and end this all finally. I was not going to lose anyone, not again.

"Never change Dustin Henderson," I heard Eddie tell Dustin with his hand wrapped around his neck. "Didn't plan out it," Dustin replied. Eddie let Dustin go and made his way to me, I smiled. He pulled me into his arms and gave me a passionate kiss. "Hear me now Lunar, I will be here for you now and until my last breath," he whispered into my ear. "If we go down, then we go down together Edward Munson, forever and always." I looked him in the eyes, "Forever and always Lunar Mayfield." He smiled before kissing me again.

We loaded up and drove back into town, I took Max, Lucas, and Dustin to the old Creel house. "Max, I love you," I looked at my cousin and grabbed her arm. "I love you, now go kill that bastard." She smiled and shut my door. I pulled off to go meet Nancy, Steve, and Robin. Eddie squeezed my leg as I drove. I could feel my heart in my chest.

— In the upside-down

Eddie and I reinforced the outside of his trailer, we knew are role. Distract the Demobats to give them enough time to find vecna and knock his lights out permanently. We had placed his amps on the roof and set up the power needed for the most epic guitar solo ever. We waited for the signal from Steve. I looked at Eddie in his gear, bandanna around his head, bullet belt slightly crooked on his hips, guitar on his back, and combat boots laced up. He was ready, strong, and honestly, the most beautiful I had ever seen him. "Ready for stage three" Steve's voice crackled over the walkie-talkie. "Initiating stage three," I said. I looked at Eddie "guess you get to see play after all," He said and swung his guitar around to the front and ripped his guitar pick off his neck. "Hope they can hear this," I said as I plugged in the cord and flip the switches on the amp. He started slamming the riffs of Puppet Master on the guitar and it was the most metal thing ever. The swarm took the bait and headed towards Eddie and me. The bats got closer and closer, we waited till the absolute last moment before jumping down to retreat inside. Eddie slammed the reinforced screen just in time for a bat to latch its teeth into it. He slammed and lock the front door behind him turning and looking at me. "Best show ever," I laughed. He screamed "Most metal thing ever!" as he picked me up and swung me around. The bats were swarming the trailer but it was the first victory and it felt so good.

We waited for news, or the noise outside to stop, waited for anything as Eddie held me tight against him. I pulled him into a kiss, I need to feel him close.

There was a giant screech and splat outside and then silence. Eddie and I pulled apart, He opened the door and looked outside. The bats had dropped to the ground and were dead. That had to be a good sign.

The gang came back into view from the fog, Everyone was okay. "He is dead," Steve said slamming himself against the screen door. "We set him on fire and it was like he imploded from the inside out," Robin added. Eddie opened the screen door and they rushed in pulling both Eddie and me in for a hug. I started crying had we won? Was this it?

" I need to go make sure Max is okay!" I said pulling out of the hug and heading towards the opening in Eddie's ceiling, they followed me up and out of the monster plane.

I made it to the Victor Creel house to find the kids sitting on the steps. I screeched to a stop and ran up the steps to Max. "We did it," I said tears in my eyes as I held her close. "El was there with me, she ripped him into shreds, it was like the vines he was made of were disconnected and then I came back to reality." Max cried into my chest. "It's over, it's all okay," I said holding her and rubbing her hair.

–3 days later

"You ready," I asked Eddie as I slid into the driver's seat of my car. "Too bad, I am not going to graduate," he laughed. "Shut up, we save the world!" I playfully punched his shoulder. "Only thing I am sad about is I am going to miss your brown hair," I picked up a piece of his freshly bleached curls and played with it. "You know I made a good blonde." He laughed and leaned over to kiss me. I kissed him back and turned the car on, "Let's get out of here." I smiled throwing the car into drive and then headed toward the city limits. We passed the "Now leaving Hawkins" sign and I felt a weight lift off my shoulders.