Ch 32- Father

Aiden Salvador

I still felt like I was living in a dream as I let the water wash my face with my hands, removing all traces of smoke.Miles was still under the care of the nurses, while Andrea was still waiting tensely outside, leaning against the car door.I approached her, leaning on the other door of the car as she looked at me.

"I'm sorry!" she said, trying to control the tears that formed in her eyes. "Maybe you would never get to know our son. Maybe..." She stops, not wanting to say the next word that she probably thought.
I grabbed her hand and pulled her close to me, embracing her.As her head rested on my chest, I rested mine on her hair, feeling peace in her scent.

"Will I be a good father to him?" I asked, unsure if my son could accept me. I've never been there for him when he needed me the most. Not on purpose, but still, children find shelter with their parents when the rain starts pouring down, while my child has been walking alone in the rain for a long time.

"You will be the best father." She whispered and then raised her head, placing her hands on my cheeks gently. " You are the best father he could ask for.You loved and accepted him as he is without knowing that he was your son. This makes you even greater in his eyes."

I had always felt this connection towards him, which until a little while ago I could not explain, but now I know. It was a father's love.
"I will kill your father." I said and she looked at me with sad eyes. "I don't want you to kill anyone. Death is the reason why we are here. I don't like it, first it took my brother, then my mother." She paused as she holds both my hands together.
"They all follow each other. Don't do the one thing Miles hates the most, killing." She kept going.

"I hate your father." This time my heart spoke.
"I hate him too." The pain took control of her voice as she spoke. "But I love our family more. I want us to be happy." My heart starts beating faster at her words.

"Our family." I repeated, as my lips betrayed me and took the form of a smile.She placed her forehead on mine as she tiptoed up to reach my length. "Yes, our family. " She smiled too.

"I love you!" I said, finally after so much time."I love Miles too." I kept saying as I brought my lips close to hers and felt her breathing as it became more frequent. Then I crashed my lips into them.

"I love you too!" She said in between that kiss. I could not control myself, I continued to kiss her like I was hungry until her lips were swallowed.Then I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket and she pulled away from the kiss, leaving me room to see who it was.

As I took it in my hand, a blank expression took over my face as I felt my body get cold and Andrea looking at me confused.
(Did you like the surprise? Apparently, your son is a strong bone. I can hardly wait for the next step. Will it be your son again or someone else? Or we can avoid all the drama, bring me the flesh, I heard you have it.)
The message said and I furrowed my brows in confusion. What flash? This was the second time I heard about it, but I had no idea what it was about.

"What's wrong?" Andrea asked.
Damn the flash. Everything happened because of my fault, my son almost wouldn't be anymore and this because of my fault.
"It was my fault. " I whispered. "My fault." I kept repeating as I hit the car with my foot.
"STOP." She screamed and then took my phone on her hands. Her face turned pale.
"Our son was about to burn in those flames."

Anger overwhelms me as my eyes begin to fill with tears. My fault. But I paused for a moment. "That child died because of me." I said and I couldn't bear the guilt, it was all choking me, as if I had a knife in my throat. I continued screaming as she tried to hold me, but i kept hitting the car to take out my anger.

"Is everything okay?" A voice asked behind us and as soon as I turned my head, I met the figure of my son as he stood there, looking at us in surprise. "Calm down. He doesn't know about his school friend's death." She whispered in my ear, only for me to hear and confused, I nodded.

"Everything fine." I said, trying to act normal even though my hands were shaking.
"Let's go home babe." Andrea took him carefully near and then I opened the car door for them to get in. "Are you fine?" I asked him and he smiled while nodding his head. I will try to do everything good for you, I swear.

♤♤♤

Now we were at home and as I helped him sit on the couch, I couldn't take my eyes off him. How I hadn't realized before, his resemblance to Andrea was so great. Black hair, white skin, the only thing he had taken from me were his green eyes.
While I was focused on seeing every detail of him, he looked at me as if I were some crazy maniac. In fact, I was, I had lost a lot during his growth and now I wanted not to lose any moment or detail of him.

"You are looking at me with eyes that you see my mom. I don't like it at all." He said with a serious, somewhat disgusted face. What? I asked myself. Then I took a few steps back, realizing what he meant, while Andrea approached me laughing.

"Don't mind him." She said still laughing and then Miles laughed a little too.
"Are you ok?" She asked again for the I don't know how many times. "Yes! For the hundredth time,yes." He responded and i smiled.
"Don't mind her." I imitated her words and she gave me a murderous look. He then turned to Miles with a serious look.

"I have to tell you something." She said and the smile I had on my face fell down.  Was she? No, right? It's too soon.

"Yes." He answered waiting for her to continue.
"Do you remember that I talked to you about your father once?" she asked him with her eyes on me, signaling me to calm down, that everything is fine.I don't know if I was ready for this, but maybe after what happened today, we don't have to wait anymore, you never know what God will bring.

"Yeah." He said and i smiled, but he didn’t saw me as he continued.
"The jerk you said." And my mouth opened wide in surprise as I looked Andrea, who's face turned blank. Then I pointed the index finger at myself and asked silently. Me? So I was the jerk father. Good Aiden, you just won a point with your son.

"Yeah." She awkwardly responded to him. "But things turned out that he is not that much of a jerk because he really didn't know about your existence." She kept explaining as he asked after. "Where is he now?"

She turned her eyes to me and together with her, him. Then we stayed for a while in silence as he asked again. "Is he the jerk?"
She took a deep breath as she nodded her head, saying. "Yes!"

He kept looking at me and as I tried to control my shaking hands, he turned to Andrea.
"Did you forgive him?" She looked at me and said. "Yes! If he knew he would have come for us." And I looked straight into her eyes smiling lightly. I would. If I could turn back time, everything would be so different.

"Then I forgive him too." He said and a feeling of happiness described my body causing it to move on his one, letting myself free to go and hug him.

"Ahh" he protested, wanting to move, but couldn't.
"Aiden you jerk. Stay away from him." Andrea screamed as i remembered his damaged arms and I got away immediately, saying sorry.
"Sorry! I just... I was excited. I forgot. " i stuttered. Silly me, how the hell did I forget.

"It's ok." He awkwardly said. "But I....I  can't immediately say Dad to you." He continued.
Andrea looked at me as her eyebrows formed in sadness, but I smiled lightly and took a few steps closer to him, this time without touching him. Even though my eyes were betraying me by bringing some drops of water out.

"It's ok. I will wait, just like you waited 14 years for your father."
Then he looked at me smiling a little, but I noticed that his eyes filled with tears as he turned his head to the other side, trying to hide them.
Andrea came close to me hugging from behind and I put my hand on hers which was lying on my chest as i smiled. I will wait forever.