Chapter Four - Volume 2

I walked to the top of the stairs and found the first floor vacant and deteriorating. I left the pack a healthy budget, detailed plans and even gave my own earnings to Nikolai as a precaution. Nikolai. Where was he? I searched around but there was no one. I took the stairs to the third floor. This was once my cage but it appeared to be the only floor inhabited now. I followed the scent of alcohol and cigarettes to a small dirty room. The inside had peeling yellow wall paper and shredded toys thrown about. It should have been the nursery but where was it's inhabitant? I followed a subtle helpless cry to my old room. Inside Victor cradled a small infant, trying to soothe it while trying not to crumble apart. The once proud alpha, the man who tortured me for years, was now a husk just barely holding on. I thought it'd feel good to see him like this, I had always thought this was the sight I wanted to see but as I experienced more of life I knew this wasn't right. I could hate Victor as a husband but that was in the past. I had to look forward and be the person worthy of my people's admirationb by helping those in need.
           I tapped him on the shoulder softly, "Victor? It's me, Seraphina."
                 He was lost in sitting the child but looked up regardless. His one powerful blue eyes were dull and lifeless. "S-Sera?" A spark showed for a brief moment. I peeled at the cold he held and saw it held no resemblance to him. It was a darker tone with big green eyes. He reminded of the Omega male we had to banish for crones of theft, indecent behavior and disregard on patrols. It was clear Natalia fooled Victor and he was now forced to live with that betrayal as a second divorce would not be permitted. I feel a part of the elder knew Natalia was not carrying Victor's child but I doubted he had that kind of power.
           I grabbed Victor's attention again with a small snap, "hey? What happened?"
        A tear feel from his eye as he handed me the child. "When our bond broke, i-i felt so broken. I thought that because we weren't fated, maybe it wouldn't be such a blow but when it got me everything you'd ever done for me, for this pack. We all felt it. They replayed like a haunting tale of losing the best thing in the world for us. Nikolai." He inhaled and exhaled slowly as he gripped his hands tightly. "Nikolai tried to show me that woman's colors. She blew through the budget on herself. She didn't care about the pack and while I was recovering from the bond severing she grew to despise me. She couldn't even stand her own child. That." He grit his teeth in anger. "That child. I lost it when it was born but it was too late. She had taken everything and I...I just couldn't fight. When she abandoned him I felt his pain. I also knew that the ache we felt was nothing compared to the pain I put you through. There's no words of apology great enough for me to express to you." He took my hand tenderly, a soft spark felt as he rubbed my hand thoughtfully. "I can only say I truly hope you have found the happiness you deserve."
           I felt my chest tighten as years welled up in my eyes. I couldn't stop myself from embracing him. Though I didn't feel the slightest inkling of romance I was moved by his sincerity. Perhaps someday we could become friends even. One we over come out past and fix the situation. I looked him in the eyes. "Let's fix your pack Victor. For you and those who remain."
                   He nodded teary eyed. "Thank you, Alpha Sera."