Chapter Six - Volume 2

We made it to the castle, the majority bright eyed and though I was weary from lack of sleep even I remained as chipper as I could. We were greeted by some attendants. The elders employed rogues to work in the castle because they themselves gave up having a single pack. An elder did not belong to one or another, the entire territory was their pack and they had to govern it as such which was a daunting task, Larger packs reported to the elders while smaller packs did their own things and only informed the elders of major changes. The moon stone pack was a small pack, our alpha would show me how he wrote the official reports for things like births, deaths, and for nomads we would report conditions of the unused lands. Anywhere experiencing poor conditions had to be reported so they could be mended. The elders also couldn’t leave their castle and most people couldn’t visit. Only high ranking alphas with special privileges could come, this was a special situation though.
        Guards guided us to a conference room where Davion was already briefing the elders. He saw me and smiled warmly, I felt my body lock up awkwardly as my brain shut down but I managed a quick wave before taking my seat as far away as possible. He took notice but returned to his briefing.
             “We have found the ferals are trying to find the free zones, it seems they don’t retain their knowledge of the land so they keep exploring for the unclaimed lands to slip through. A friend has them cut off to the coast, Lord Ivan has the north on high alert and Alpha Derrick keeps the woods close to the north patrolled. I have squads patrolling the plains and smaller inland forests but there’s not enough people involved.”
          The plump Elder sighed a heavy sigh, “We have fought so hard to maintain our lands. To think we would could lose it to our own. It’s a grave day indeed.”
                The other elder studied the map and pointed to an plot of land, “If we post a pack here, they can fan out their patrols and give the illusion of greater numbers being actively involved.”
          Davion nodded, “It could be dangerous, no pack would deliberately move to what could be a potential warzone. It could me absolute annihilation.”
              I raised my hand, “We will settle there.”
              The elder raised his brow, “You just submitted for alpha status. You lack a beta. How can you settle in a warzone when you’re not entirely all together?”
         “This is for show, while I lack my own beta, former Beta Erik had taken the reins and guided my people to the Derrick for further training and from the letters I have exchanged they are becoming a promising force. We can settle temporarily and fluff up security.”
             He stroked his beard in thought and turned to the plump elder who sat with his head hung low, “Brother, what do you think?”
              The plump elder approached me, his eyes searching for something. What? I couldn’t be sure but he seemed satisfied, “Yes brother, I believe in her.”
                The larger elder nodded, “That’s settled. Seraphina, follow us. Everyone else remain here.” I felt nervous as I followed them into a separate room. It was simple but I could feel the residue of ancient magic all around the room. The two elders stood outside a circle of silver light. “Step into the circle.” They both motioned to it with a smile.
                I nodded and stepped inside it feeling an instant serenity, like I was one with the light. I couldn’t see, or feel but I could hear their voices chanting in unison. When the chanting subsided I could her the elders’ voices, “Seraphina Nightly, do you promise to pledge the oath of all the alphas to come before you and for all those who will come after you.
    “I pledge my soul to lead my pack with the honor of our ancestors and the glory of the future!”
              They remained in perfect unison, “Feel the name of your pack in your heart. Image the mark and it shall be so.”
            I could see it, a small sideways turquoise moon with a white circle centered at the points and five turquoise diamonds around the outer part of the white circle. I could feel it etch its image on the center of my forehead. It felt rejuvenating and as the light faded I looked at the elders with a smile, “The Moonlight Pack.”
        They nodded in agreement. The taller one smiled in acknowledgment. “Make us proud, Alpha Seraphina.”
           As I walked back into the room everyone’s eyes were on me. Anya was full of joyous tears as she looked at me, Davion looked sorrowful. He wouldn’t even look me in the eye before he left the room under the guise of needing to strategize alone. Anya was so excited to receive her mark to, she chose her right shoulder. Marking a pack member was easier and less involved than a mate, we both had to make the agreement and the joining member chose the location and I just had to place my hand there to transfer the pack mark. The mark was a visual thing, the mind link came from the and the joining member chose the location and I just had to place my hand there to transfer the pack mark. The mark was a visual thing, the mind link came from the agreement. One could listen in on the pack and remain unmarked. The mark helped one feel more unified to their alpha. I marked brock on the left upper arm. The twins chose their hands, Nina chose left as she was left Nala chose the right. I was so lost in the camaraderie I had forgotten about Davion. I split away from the group to find Davion, lost in strategies and meticulous plans.
         I approached him carefully but he ignored me regardless so I strutted up to him feeling irritated he would spoil this day. “Hey! What’s wrong Davion?”
             He looked at me with cold eyes, “That’s alpha.” His voice full of possessive irritation. I couldn’t understand his attitude change. He knew I was destined to lead the north, he saw me as an alpha, why was being official so bothersome?
        I growled in return and looked him in the eyes, “Then don’t forget my name. Alpha.” I stormed off and regrouped. “Let’s go to the others. NOW.” We left the castle quickly. I just couldn’t understand why he would act like a child and ruin something so important to me! We started the long journey to the Northern border. I felt unusually sick but I figured it was the nerves from constantly fighting myself about Davion so I tried to put him out of my mind entirely.