Chapter 11

A/N: please read!

Hi y'all, I just wanted to give credit for this wonderful picture in the chapter! It's by @ slow.hazel on Instagram. If you haven't checked out her account, do it now! Her talent is absolutely incredible!

~*~

Jake and I walk the streets of my city, hand in hand. The feeling of holding hands with him is so natural it almost scares me. The chemistry and connection we have is unexplainable – it feels like fate brought us together. It's the only thing that makes sense to me.

The evening traffic had long since died down, and all that remained on the sidewalks were a few people every now and then. Between the cool breeze in the air and the beautiful colors of orange and pink painting the sunset sky, I felt serene. I felt safe – something that I've attributed to feeling a lot more with Jake. With him, everything else melts away. It doesn't matter what I'm facing, so long as Jake is with me, I know that, ultimately, I'll be safe.

He leads me down a few streets, never once telling me where it is we're going, despite my questions. Although, I do have a pretty good idea.

"You seem to know your way around fairly well, Jake. Have you been here before?" I am mostly teasing, but the confidence in his walk makes me curious.

He looks at me and nods, "I have once. A few weeks ago."

My steps falter. "Wait, seriously? Why didn't you tell me?"

Jake's face twists, as if he is in pain thinking about it. "I couldn't, Flora. I-" his voice is strained. "I was running and only passing through. Believe me, it hurt so badly that I couldn't stop and see you. I'm sorry."

"You don't have to apologize for that, Jake," I sigh, regretting dampening the mood. "I know you couldn't. You could have told me after though." Could he have though? It's probable that his pursuers would have found out where he was if he told me that. "You know what, never mind that. I understand why you didn't." I smile up at him.

Jake nudges me in the shoulder playfully, making me almost trip. Almost.

"Hey!" I laugh, pushing his arm twice as hard in an attempt to make him lose his balance. He doesn't even stumble. "That's not fair, you were expecting me to do it back!"

He laughs, probably at me, and puts his arm around my shoulders. He is strong. His arm is heavy, muscular. But for someone who's had to live on the run for the past four years, I guess it shouldn't be too surprising that he's in good shape.

After a couple minutes, we finally arrive at our destination. My guess was correct. In front of us is the sign of a local Chinese restaurant. My heart rate picks up as excitement bubbles up inside me. It's been a while since I've been on a date, but I've never been so thrilled to go on one before.

Jake opens the door for me, and I walk in. The inside of the restaurant has an atmosphere that is both lively and romantic. We are seated at a booth towards the back. A single light above illuminates the table, and strings of lights cascade down the walls nearby. The environment is warm and inviting.

We sit across from one another as our waitress comes over to take our order. Jake motions for me to go first. I order fried rice and two egg rolls. He gets chicken with Lo Mein.

The number of questions that I have for Jake are adding up. As much as I would like to just sit here with him and act like things are perfectly normal, I can't. The unknown has been eating away at me, and now he's finally here. Yet I still don't know anything.