CHAPTER TWELVE - The New Mission

It had been easy enough to slip through the medical facility unnoticed once Anakin had used a mind trick on an attendant. The attendant had led him straight to Rex's room at his request, and Anakin told the woman to leave them and not say a word about it to anyone. She nodded wordlessly and shut the door behind herself on the way out.

"Rex?" Anakin removed his hood and moved deeper into the room, where the captain lay in a bed. He no longer had on his armor, and his stomach was tightly wrapped. Anakin grabbed a chair nearby and pulled it up beside the bed. "Rex," he repeated.

Rex opened his eyes and smiled weakly. "Well if it isn't General Skywalker. Glad you could make it, sir, but isn't it a bit risky?"

"I've never minded a bit of risk. You know that." Anakin grinned.

Rex laughed a little, then coughed. "Ugh," he groaned. "Aren't I just a sight for sore eyes?"

"All that matters is they're getting you better."

"Of course, sir."

"I'm here to tell you, General Kenobi and I will soon be leaving."

"Leaving, sir?"

"We're going to track down the Separatists. They're apparently on Geonosis."

"Just the two of you?"

"Yes. The Senator will be staying here with her family. They can take care of you as well."

"General, I'm coming with you." Rex tried to sit up, but, wincing, fell back against the pillows. "Blast."

Anakin frowned. "You can't come in your condition. Besides, we've got this under control. The Separatists are on their last leg. It'll be easy to take them down."

"I hope so, sir."

"I also came here for another reason."

"Sir?"

"To say goodbye. I doubt you'll want to stay on Naboo, which means our paths may not cross for some time."

"You're probably right, sir. I may attempt to locate Ahsoka. Or maybe I could help some other Jedi escape to safety."

Anakin smiled. "You're a good man, Captain, and I'd be out there helping you if I didn't have a family to think about."

"General Skywalker, a family man," Rex mused.

"Better get used to it."

"If you don't mind me saying this, I think you'll be a great father, sir."

"Thanks."

"Now don't get yourself into any trouble without me to bail you out."

Anakin laughed. "I'll try, but you know me. I'm a magnet for trouble." He stood, because as much as he would have loved to just stay there and reminisce with Rex about the good old days, he had a galaxy to save. "Goodbye, Captain."

"Goodbye, General." Rex gave him the best salute he could, and Anakin nodded in farewell before pulling his hood up and slipping out of the room.

Padmé was sitting on a couch, watching as her parents and Sola bustled around, trying to get everything perfect. They'd insisted on her resting while they did the unpacking, and she'd only agreed to it if they allowed her to have full control over setting up the baby's room. They'd agreed.

Now, all she could do was wait and attempt to keep up with Pooja and Ryoo, who were both talking away about their friends at school and the dolls they wanted.

"Padmé," Sola called. "We're finished."

"Thank goodness," Padmé stood with mild difficulty. "I can finally feel useful."