CHAPTER SEVENTEEN - The Storm

Anakin was getting restless. He had sent that message to Organa a while ago, and now the suns were climbing higher and higher in the sky. His stomach was growling, but he didn't want to leave the ship until he absolutely had to. He poked around the ship until he found some food rations, and though they were quite bland, they did the trick. He sat in the pilot's seat, eating some strange type of bread, and waited.

Finally, when it was almost noon, a button lit up, signifying an incoming message. Anakin almost fell out of his chair trying to push the button as quickly as possible. A hologram of Senator Organa appeared on the console.

"General Skywalker, I have received your message. I advise against returning to any planet near the Inner Rim, however, I understand Senator Amidala's connection to Naboo. Vice Chair Mas Amedda has declared himself Emperor of the galaxy to roaring approval."

Anakin slumped down in his seat. No matter what happened, he was in trouble, but now it was sinking in that the entire galaxy was going to suffer. Padmé would not be happy about this.

"I fear this will not be easily remedied, but I plan to remain on the Senate as long as I'm able, and I will attempt to keep you and Senator Amidala informed. I trust the Senator has family on Naboo who will help you. I wish you and your family the best of luck, General Skywalker, and may the Force be with you." The hologram of Organa disappeared, but Anakin remained seated, trying to digest everything. His food rations sat forgotten on the console.

"Are you sure this will be enough?" Beru asked Padmé.

"Quite sure. We're going straight to our place of hiding." She felt she could trust Beru and Owen enough to tell them, but she felt it unwise to leave anything to chance. If someone found out that the Lars family knew where the Skywalkers were going into hiding, they could be tortured for the information. She would never wish that on these people who had helped her and her husband so much.

"I hope it isn't far, or you'll get hungry."

Padmé ignored that, stuffing some canisters into an old bag Beru had sat on the table. "Thank you, Beru," she said. "For everything."

"Of course. We're family."

Padmé smiled.

Anakin stepped off the ship with his hood up, squinting against the blazing suns. There was a strong breeze blowing the hot air around, and shops were closing up. There was a storm coming. Anakin pulled his robes tighter around himself and hurried on. That is, until his path was blocked by an armored figure.

"Where do you think you're going?"

Anakin looked up. This was a Mandalorian, by the looks of things. His armor was primarily green, and he had a blaster aimed right at Anakin's chest. "I believe you've made some mistake," he said, holding his hands up.

"Is this you?" the Mandalorian held up a bounty hunter's puck and pressed a button. A hologram appeared—a hologram of Anakin's face.

Anakin sighed. "That's unfortunate." He summoned his lightsaber to his hand just in time to block the bounty hunter's first blast, but it certainly wasn't his last.

Sand was swirling all around them. It obscured Anakin's vision, but he had the Force on his side. Clearly, however, this bounty hunter had some kind of high-tech vision-enhancing gear because he was still effortlessly locking onto Anakin for shot after shot.

He's trying to make me tired.

Anakin used the Force to pull the blaster from the bounty hunter's hand, tossing it away, and he landed a hit to his chest plate. It wasn't enough, though, and the bounty hunter kicked him hard, sending him several steps backward. He launched some sort of explosive rocket at him, and Anakin barely had time to dodge it. It hit the ground beside him, sending even more sand into the air.